Law School Discussion

The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?

botbot

• View Profile
The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:26:42 PM »
There are quite a few 1Ls around the board, use this thread to ask us questions about Tulane, NOLA, etc.

botbot

• View Profile
Re: The Tulane Thread on Tulane Greatness: Got Questions?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:00:36 PM »
I've read about the cost of living skyrocketing? What would a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a fun and convenient area cost me? Do you need a car?

The rent is higher than it was before the storm, but now the market is being flooded ( :o :o ) with many freshly remodeled uptown apartments/homes and prices are settling down a bit. 

Decent 1BR/1BA will run from $700 to $1200 a month.  You will not *need* a car, but it does make things much easier (grocery trips, etc).  As long as you stay in uptown (I would say 97% of Tulane students live here) you will be within walking distance to restaurants/bars/drug stores.

Whoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:20:28 PM »
How unsafe is the Tualne area of NO? I have never been to NO, so I don't know if it is in a good area.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:35:39 PM »
How unsafe is the Tualne area of NO? I have never been to NO, so I don't know if it is in a good area.

Tulane is in a very nice area.  I have never felt the slightest bit unsafe.  There are certainly areas of NOLA that it would be a mistake to walk through inebriated with a full wallet at the middle of the night, but you really just have to be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.  The overall crime level is very similar to most other large-ish cities, but it gets a lot of media attention due to high levels of murder and Katrina.

Whoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 01:38:10 PM »
So I take it that UC-Hastings would be more unsafe than Tulane?

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:41:33 PM »
So I take it that UC-Hastings would be more unsafe than Tulane?

I wouldn't say that because I don't know.  I would venture a guess that both schools are perfectly safe.

Whoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 01:44:35 PM »
Let's say the schools are safe, but how about a comparison of the area immediately surrounding the campus "walls" ?

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 01:46:36 PM »
The immediate area is safe also.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 02:04:21 PM »
Let's say the schools are safe, but how about a comparison of the area immediately surrounding the campus "walls" ?

As noted above, the immediate area is safe.  Tulane's "front" is on historic St. Charles and about half of campus is surrounded by numerous million dollar homes.  The other half of campus is surrounded by middle class homes filled with students and NOLA residents.  The area definitely leans on the "young" side.  There are restaurants and bars within walking distance.  The police presence is, understandably, pretty substantial around the bars.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 05:46:57 PM »
How would you describe the general vibe on campus?  I realize there probably isn't a "typical" Tulane student but if you had to describe, how would you?  Does the social life revolve around drinking or are there other things to do in NOLA?  Where is Tulane (both professors and students) politically?