Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW's new medians  (Read 1090 times)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: GW's new medians
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 07:42:27 AM »
This is discouraging. I have a 3.74 and 166. I'm right below the median for both numbers. Is it really that schools actually prefer splitters to someone like me who is just average in both categories?

Not really, no. If both your numbers are above their 25th you have a chance. If both are above their median you're a strong candidate. If your GPA is below 25th, your LSAT should be above their 75th. If your LSAT is below their 25th, you're largely screwed unless you have stellar ECs and/or racial advantages.

skillerj

• You want to eat?
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolNumbers
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 08:03:55 AM »
Another theory for the median increase - More and more people interested in the IP law apply for GWU, and the admissions became more competitive, no?

Do you think there is a good chance that the median will decrease for next year?

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 09:15:19 AM »
Another theory for the median increase - More and more people interested in the IP law apply for GWU, and the admissions became more competitive, no?

Do you think there is a good chance that the median will decrease for next year?

Doubtful on both counts IMO.  The IP boom has leveled off and hard science majors tend to have lower GPA's on average anyways.  Their applicant pool probably didn't change much, but they were able to matriculate better applicants with the gaggle of full ride scholarships they handed out.  Now that the word is out about the scholarship opportunities, I can't imagine their pool will get less competitive.