Law School Discussion

Ranking Trends, T30-T60?

• View Profile
Re: Ranking Trends, T30-T60?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:08:21 AM »
Cardozo. Check out the Leiter rankings. It is the 4th best school in the worlds biggest legal market. Nice facilities, great location in the village.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 09:18:39 AM »
http://mainelaw.maine.edu/tuitionandfees.aspx

http://www.law.uconn.edu/bursar/tuition.html#DDNE

I believe both of the above schools have some sort of special program for New England residents that reside in a state without a public law school. I highly suggest you CALL THEM for more information.

Being a Mass resident sucks, I'd love a shot at instate tuition

heh, i did...600-1k reduction, nice for a scratch ticket, but whats the difference between 115k and 120k worth of debt really...i mean when you have 5000 left you start paying minimum payments anyways.

Plus, Princeton Review lightly trounces U Maine for "Awful Employment Prospects"

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 09:24:21 AM »
Every little bit helps, but I guess I didn't look carefully at those pages.

Anyway, do some research. If you are willing to move outside of NE, there are some schools that have generous residency policies. Search the forum, I believe there is a thread on this somewhere.

All of the schools you have listed put you on a low pay after graduation + high debt load, assuming you are an average student gradewise, which you probably will be.

heh, i did...600-1k reduction, nice for a scratch ticket, but whats the difference between 115k and 120k worth of debt really...i mean when you have 5000 left you start paying minimum payments anyways

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 09:32:01 AM »
Cardozo is a joke unless:

1. you're rich and can afford to pay your tuition in cash

2. rank at the top of your class after 1L year - impossible to predict

3. have an UNCONDITIONAL full ride

4th best in NYC means nothing really, when you consider that a large portion of top students from every single top 25 school in the country, as well as top students at lesser schools are gunning for best jobs in NYC.

Didn't you see the WSJ article?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119040786780835602.html

No one really cares about the Leiter rankings and the USNEWs rankings don't mean a whole lot beyond the top 25.

Cardozo. Check out the Leiter rankings. It is the 4th best school in the worlds biggest legal market. Nice facilities, great location in the village.

Wurd

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 11:04:59 AM »
The problem using the WSJ article as a reference is that Scott Bullock is a pathetic loser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 06:55:22 PM »
Cardozo graduated its first class in 1979. It is so young and already one of the top 60 schools in the nation. It is also better than a number of NY schools that have had hundred year head starts.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 07:32:14 PM »
PR is pretty much garbage, all of the guides by them I've looked at are crap.

Being at the "most wired law school" won't improve your job prospects and the same goes for all of those other meaningless categorizations they slot schools into.

To be fair, those UMaine grads at the top firms were probably at the top of their class. The average UMaine student will probably be working at a small firm or opening up a solo shop...much like law grads at any other regional school. Not that there is anything wrong with that. BUT it makes sense to keep debt down as much as possible if that's what you're looking at.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 08:19:37 PM »
If you are interested in going to school or practicing law in Florida and are looking for an up and comer I would consider FSU, which has marched up the rankings the last few years. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they eventually surpass UF.

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 08:38:53 PM »
If you are interested in going to school or practicing law in Florida and are looking for an up and comer I would consider FSU, which has marched up the rankings the last few years. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they eventually surpass UF.

That's my #1 as of right now.

How do they port outside of Florida, if I wanted to move back to GA or somewhere?