Law School Discussion

lalalagirl007

• fierceness.
    • View Profile
« on: October 23, 2007, 08:16:02 AM »

Re: Scored below 150 twice!!!!! NEEDS SERIOUS HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:20:19 AM »
I strongly advise NOT taking it in December, take it in February or June, because if you are scoring below 150, you definitely need as much time as possible to prep and from now til December is not really enough time. Don't take in December...take in February or June and prep hard. You should also consider a course or a tutor.

AJaKe

• No, a law student!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:32:42 AM »
You might want to consider taking a year off then....

nateDgr8

• Slightly Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 09:35:07 AM »
How have you been studying? Prep course? Bibles?

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:25:52 AM »
I would retake your prep course if they offer the option of taking it again for free. I took a Kaplan course and didn't even do all the minimum requirements, but I feel like if I had done ALL that they had given me I would have scored (5-10 pts) better. The thing I have taken away from Kaplan is that the classroom component is good, but the real value lies in all the supplemental material they give you to do at home.

xaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »
Howd u do on preptests? If 150 was around ur avg, than DO NOT TAKE IT IN DECEMBER! if it was really below ur avg, than keep practicing and you should be ok.

TheJudged

• Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 04:37:44 PM »
Honestly, it doesn't sound like law school is for you. 

I know that's not what you wanted to here, but please PLEASE think about it long and hard before you throw 200 thousand dollars on a degree where you will ultimately be working for 20-40 dollars an hour and no benefits.

Don't feed the toilets.

xaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »
Dear [some] 165+ LSAT takers,
Sorry to burst some bubble, but a good lsat score is neither sufficient nor necessary for a successful legal career. It does not even serve as a good indicator for performance in L1... so please, stop telling people (without knowing them) what is and what is not for them.

TheJudged

• Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 07:35:05 PM »
People with 150's go to crappy lawschools.  People who go to crappy lawschools get jobs that weren't worth the investment 99% of the time.

I repeat: don't feed the toilets.

Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:53:52 PM »
Dear [some] 165+ LSAT takers,
Sorry to burst some bubble, but a good lsat score is neither sufficient nor necessary for a successful legal career. It does not even serve as a good indicator for performance in L1... so please, stop telling people (without knowing them) what is and what is not for them.

Honestly, I don't want to sound elitist, but if your numbers are such that you can't get into a Tier 1 (maybe Tier 2) school you should consider whether law school is really the right decision for you.  It's not about being smart enough to succeed in law school or even whether you can be a good lawyer.

The fact of the matter is that law school is extremely expensive (probably about $150,000 total, not to mention opportunity costs) and if you can't find a lucrative job after graduation you might find yourself in a really bad position.  Yes, people from Tier 3 and 4 schools find jobs, but it can be very difficult and many end up working as contract attorneys and such.  Think about your goals, the amount of debt you have from undergrad and the amount of debt you'll have to take out to go to law school.  I think some people believe that just going to any law school means you're set for life, but for some people it really isn't the right decision.