Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Free Practice LSAT at a Kaplan Center  (Read 481 times)

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Free Practice LSAT at a Kaplan Center
« on: October 22, 2007, 09:55:59 PM »
Has anyone ever taken one of these free LSAT tests with Kaplan? I am scheduled to take on this weekend and I just wanted to know what I am getting myself into. God, I hope they do not try to sell me on their class. I just want the practice!!

fred

• View Profile
Re: Free Practice LSAT at a Kaplan Center
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:24:23 PM »
i took one a few weeks ago...definitely worth doing.

they do give you a little sales pitch before the test that there's no escaping. but the main presentation is AFTER the test, so you can just walk out. that what I did (along with around %70 of the group). I think they expect it.

it's good way to get a fairly realistic LSAT experience. and when you get your scores, they have it all broken down, telling you what kinds of questions are your weaknesses!
174+/3.7x

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:18:37 PM »
It's ok. Just dont sign up for their classes.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
It's good if you want to simulate real testing conditions in a room with a desk and a bunch of other people...so you can get the hang of that if you've been out of the testing loop for a while.

They do give you a sales pitch but you don't really have to DO anything other than sit through it and stare at the wall.

I found it useful as just another practice test, and a little more "realistic" to testing conditions...if nothing else.

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:04:49 PM »
So I am assuming that they do not use a real LSAT. They just make up questions that simulate LSAT questions? When and how do you get your score? The same day?

preposition

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 04:24:37 PM »
Kaplan's Free LSAT is indeed created material (LSAC's licensing does not extend to free events.  No test provider is able to give free LSAC material).  However, the questions have been tested a million times over and we find students usually score about 1 point higher on average on the created LSAT v. an actual LSAT.  This is after years of research.

The questions are good and the explanations (the link is provided at the event) are even better. 

There is generally a "strategy session" at the end that includes information about the courses.  An LSAT instructor answers questions from the test and discusses changes to the test with test-takers.  You should take Kaplan up on the offer to benefit from their experience.

It definitely includes a sales pitch at the end, but it also include discounts on courses.  I stand behind Kaplan's courses, but they aren't going to corner you and take your money.  They're giving you a free testing experience, they want you to know about the product. 

They usually provide candy during the sales pitch though.  En profitez!

And, it's the only free test out there that includes a scored comparative reading section. 

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »
Preposition. Welcome to the board. I assume you are a Kaplan Instructor. Is your score given back to you at the end of the event? I am scheduled to take one this weekend.

preposition

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:50:06 PM »
Thanks lawness!

Depends on the center.  Some centers return scores right away but sometimes it will take 24 hours (depends on the number of test takers at the practice test) and can call the center to get it by phone.  You'll get to keep your test booklet and they'll give you a link to go over the questions and explanations from the kaptest.com website. 

You'll get a full diagnostic print out that includes your performance broken down by not only section (LR/LG/RC) but also by questions type (assumption/strwkn/etc.).