Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lowdown on UF and Tampa market  (Read 1515 times)

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
Lowdown on UF and Tampa market
« on: October 22, 2007, 04:39:26 PM »
Hey guys,

please give me the info posted in the topic to your knowladge. I really love the Tampa Bay Area and I would love to work there but I don't really know what kind of law is practiced there. It is a major metro area so I would assume some of everything but I am not really sure.

Also, I am thinking of UF for law school. I have a 3.69/163 from a top 25, so I think I stand a good chance of admisson. Also, how does UF place outside of FLA? And what is your opinion of the law school? I know there have been threads comparing the three FLA schools but I am gearing this post specificly twoards Tampa. I have lived in Miami for the past 6 months (will be here through July) and I doubt I would want to settle here but I really love FLA....

yykm

• View Profile
Re: Lowdown on UF and Tampa market
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 05:54:25 PM »
UF gives you a marginally better shot at Tampa and any other place in FL outside of So Fla than any other FL school.  In So Fla, UM and UF are mostly equals.

UF places decently into Atlanta, but not much elsewhere.  A very small minority find jobs in DC and in NYC to even a lesser extent.

Tampa is a very small legal in comparison to other cities.  Of Southeastern cities, it has fewer opportunities than Atlanta, Miami, Charlotte, and Orlando; it is comparable to Jacksonville; and has a few more opportunities than Charleston and Raleigh.  To give some concrete info, I think the large firms there dont take more than 5 SAs.  (Check Nalp if you want to check to be sure).  I dont even think there are more than 30 SA jobs at the Tampa offices of large firms.  The fact is that Tampa just doesnt handle a lot of legal work because there isnt much of any industry there.  Nice city, but just not many jobs.

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:16:37 PM »
Thanks for your response...

What about smaller firms? Do you feel there is enough of a market there for me to make a decent living? I am not really enthusiastic about Biglaw to begin with, so the large firm thing is not that much of a concern. My plan was to apply all over the Southeast, focusing on FLA and GA, with a few reach schools in the major cities (Chicago and NYC) though I like the climate and general attitude of the Southeast much better. Any thoughts on this? What would you do with my #s (3.69/163)? I would really like to aviod a retake if possible...

ksigman123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
your in UF easy...if you dont want to retake

median LSAT was 160 with a 3.7ish gpa...

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »
UF is far and away my #1 choice so I've done quite a bit of research on it.  I would completely agree with the above poster.  UF has an excellent reputation anywhere in Florida and is the highest ranked school in the state.  If you're not interested in Biglaw you should still be in good shape with a UF law degree provided you are willing to do what it takes once you graduate to establish your career. 

Your numbers look very good for UF.  If you submit a strong, complete application you should definitely be accepted.  I'm a little more concerned for myself because of my very weak GPA but I'm hoping my LSAT and non-trad status will make up the difference.  On the application UF asks for a diversity statement.  I'm trying to show my interest there without turning it into a "Why UF" essay.

Hopefully we'll be Gators together in fall '08.   ;D
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 07:47:58 PM »
dotlyn I sent you a pm...thanks for responding

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 11:19:14 AM »
I just wrote a response over in the "Which Florida schools" thread about UF and vs. Stetson grads at Holland and Knight, one of the largest firms in Tampa. UF was definitely the winner there (I think 25 grads), with Stetson coming in second (with I think 11). It's a very small/specific sample size, but it says something about placement in Tampa. I saw absolutely no Miami grads, and only a few FSU grads. I think this specific cross-section could loosely demonstrate the make-up of a lot of major Tampa firms.

In sum: UF far and away is best for Tampa (outside of T14 - there were quite a few Harvard grads [mostly partners] at HK), followed by Stetson, then FSU, then Miami.
Tulane c/o 2011

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:23:52 PM »
disclosure: I am a current UF student. Tampa is probably the #2 or #3 market that UF's students go into. It is most definitely larger than Jacksonville, and probably on par with Orlando. I really think it's the #1 draw for UF grads. Most people who want to live in Miami stay at UM for law school (though almost every Miami firm interviews at UF). Most of the firms at UF's OCI are from Tampa, Orlando, West Palm/Ft. Lauderdale, Miami. Less than 10 Atlanta firms visit UF, and almost all of them are biglaw.

Overall, I've really liked UF, though you'll notice that there are two huge factions that make up the law school: 1) 22 year old UF undergrads that are going straight through, and 2) non-traditionals from all over the place. The minority of students went to UM, USF, UCF, and FSU. Not many out of staters, particularly among the traditional students (though I'd say most of the non-traditional students went to UG outside of Florida).

My three gripes about UF- 1) the school is extremely stingy with financial aid and scholarships unless you're a URM; 2)the administration seems less than interested in student education/success at times; 3) career services is AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL. You can get a job through OCI, but don't expect any help from the career services ladies- they are about as knowledgeable as the lunch ladies in your local high school cafeteria.

PM me if you have questions, or post them here and I'll answer what I can.

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 04:29:08 PM »
UF is far and away my #1 choice so I've done quite a bit of research on it.  I would completely agree with the above poster.  UF has an excellent reputation anywhere in Florida and is the highest ranked school in the state.  If you're not interested in Biglaw you should still be in good shape with a UF law degree provided you are willing to do what it takes once you graduate to establish your career. 

Your numbers look very good for UF.  If you submit a strong, complete application you should definitely be accepted.  I'm a little more concerned for myself because of my very weak GPA but I'm hoping my LSAT and non-trad status will make up the difference.  On the application UF asks for a diversity statement.  I'm trying to show my interest there without turning it into a "Why UF" essay.

You are REALLY aiming too low. With a 167 (and despite having a mediocre GPA), you should be looking at some higher ranked law schools.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 06:25:33 PM »

You are REALLY aiming too low. With a 167 (and despite having a mediocre GPA), you should be looking at some higher ranked law schools.

If you want to live in Florida after graduation, going to a "higher-ranked" school outside the South and outside the top 15-20 schools is a mistake. WUSTL and Fordham, while higher-ranked, won't get you to Florida. If you can get in, Vandy, UVA, Duke, and maybe Texas would be the only schools outside the state that give reasonable chances of getting Florida firm jobs. Yes, harvard and yale would help, but they're obviously out of the OP's reach.