Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Service Program vs.  (Read 812 times)

lawschool0192

• View Profile
Service Program vs.
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Are service programs good for personal development?

Rigel Rising

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Service Program vs. .10 GPA difference (3.41 to 3.51)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:53:06 PM »
If you do something recognizable like that, then it'll be worth way more than a 0.1 difference in your GPA, unless you're applying to a school that uses an index, and that difference is enough to place you into a separate category.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 02:53:32 PM »
Peace Corps is huge...Northeastern and BU both have an integrated program with it, when I went for the orientation (i decided not to go when darfur/somalia fell to pieces, and I had applied for east africa) they made a big deal about its interconnectedness to law school.  However, it is 5 years out of your life.  I'd say its WAY bigger then the GPA difference you mention, since its clearly such a huge sacrifice, and the LoR possibilities are massive.

lawschool0192

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »
I think I might learn a lot.

lawschool0192

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 03:33:55 PM »
bump

lawschool0192

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 08:52:51 PM »
bump

Signal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 09:11:20 PM »
Is it a benefit to you financially to graduate a year early? How sure are you that you could get a 4.0 senior year? Are you interested in doing one of the programs you mentioned for other reasons as well? I really don't know how much of a bump a service program will give you, but I'm sure it will all work out whatever you choose.

Hammerstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »
IMHO, if you're doing Peace Corps, TFA, AmeriCorps, etc. primarily to increase your chances of getting into law school, then I suggest you stay the extra year in school.  The GPA boost is probably more important in most cases.

However, if, as you say, you're looking for something "meaningful," then any of those service programs would be a fantastic way of getting more experience.  If you find you don't like school but that you are attracted to the kind of service made available through these programs, then go for it.  It will intangibly help you with law school admissions, but, more importantly, I believe any of those programs will make you a better human being.
CLS 2011.  All done.

Signal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 09:24:51 PM »
IMHO, if you're doing Peace Corps, TFA, AmeriCorps, etc. primarily to increase your chances of getting into law school, then I suggest you stay the extra year in school.  The GPA boost is probably more important in most cases.

However, if, as you say, you're looking for something "meaningful," then any of those service programs would be a fantastic way of getting more experience.  If you find you don't like school but that you are attracted to the kind of service made available through these programs, then go for it.  It will intangibly help you with law school admissions, but, more importantly, I believe any of those programs will make you a better human being.

Well said!

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 09:59:11 PM »
I think your decision here should not be driven by what you think will look better on your law school application.
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN