Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of acceptance at U of T? (3.36/171)  (Read 4315 times)

Kismet.

• View Profile
Chances of acceptance at U of T? (3.36/171)
« on: October 22, 2007, 01:57:47 AM »
In addition to those figures, my GPA has a noticeably upward trend (peaking at 3.86 in 4th year).

In addition to U of T, I'm applying to 7 other Canadian universities: Osgoode, McGill, UBC, Victoria, Queen's, Western, and Ottawa.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of acceptance at U of T? (3.36/171)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:25:26 PM »
171 is well above their 75th % LSAT

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 04:27:02 PM »
Both U of T and Oz drop some of your grades.

Oz drops one full year if your LSAT is above the 77 percentile and calculates your actual LSAT percentile as your percent grade for the year (so drop your lowest year and assume that, instead, you had a 98% average for a whole year). So you have a good shot.

U of T drops one year worth of credits, but I don't know exactly how that's calculated.
university of southern california 2011

RiddledBasins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 01:15:06 AM »
I'd say you're safe at UBC, Western and Queen's, and maybe Osgoode depending on your last 3 years.  UT and Ottawa love high GPAs, but with your 171 anything could be possible.  I don't know enough about McGill and Victoria, other than the fact that McGill wants applicants to be proficient in French.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »
You'll need about a 3.5 best 3 years for a shot at Osgoode.  Their index cut off last year was somewhere around 3.62, and your 171 gets converted to a 4.0.

((3.62 x 4)-4.0)/3 = 3.49333

I forget the Uvic index, but IIRC, you also need about a 3.5+ on their scale (with drops) no matter how good the LSAT.  You are a lock for UBC.  I got in with a similar LSAT and substantially lower GPA.  U of T, I think you have a shot, but it's probably less than 50/50.  You should be good for both Queens and Western.  Ottawa and McGill are tough to say.  Ottawa gives almost zero weight to the LSAT and basically demands a 3.5+, while McGill doesn't even require the LSAT, and admits a large portion of Quebec/french language students, so I imagine they give it far less weight than they do GPA.  If you're tempted to do the US thing, you should get into most of the following: Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern, and possibly even Chicago or NYU.

erinl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »
U of T has started making their offers. I received a phone call today.  :)