Law School Discussion

gradute now with easy degree or later in finance? HELP!!

gradute now with easy degree or later in finance? HELP!!
« on: October 21, 2007, 05:24:57 PM »
So I am married with a baby and plan on going to law school in fall 2009.  I took the LSAT in september and got a 164.  My GPA is about a 3.1.  That is all fine and good and set in stone.  Here is my dilema:

I switched my major a couple times and got 16 credits for testing out of Italian.  So i have a LOT of credits.  I am currently working towards a finance degree and I won't gradute until Spring 2009.  I Just found out today that if i want, i could switch my major to "Interdisciplinary studies" and gradute in spring 2008.  ONE YEAR SOONER.  I could then take some time off and work like crazy to save money and maybe establish residency in Texas (where three of my top schools are - I am from the northwest).  Also, this next semester (which would be my last) i could take some more "law-specific" courses like legal theories, rhetorical theories, media and the law, logic, ect.  So my two options are:

1) Gradute in a year and a half with a degre in finance
2) Graduate in 7 months with a degree in interdiscplinary studies.

Will taking the "easy" way out hurt my chances of getting accepted?  What are my chances with my current GPA of getting into SMU or Houston with a finance degree?  With the other degree?  Thanks a lot i really appreciate any advice you all can give me!!

Re: gradute now with easy degree or later in finance? HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 06:29:54 PM »
If it were me I'd stick with the Finance degree.  Presumably, you have at least some interest in finance, yes?  Yeah, you could graduate a year earlier and work, but in that scenario you're betting 100% on law school and lawyering.  What if you hate law school?  What if you become a lawyer for a few years and decide it isn't for you (lots of lawyers drop out of the profession every year)?  In that case, that finance degree is going to be a lot more useful than "interdisciplinary studies."

Also, I wouldn't really worry about taking any law-specific UG courses.  They're not necessary whatsoever.  In fact, I've often read that law school adcomms look on majors like prelaw and criminal justice with disfavor.  Not sure they'd be that thrilled with interdisciplinary studies either.

But again, that's just me.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »
What's easier than finance?

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:08:53 PM »
basket weaving?

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:29:36 PM »
So, you can major in potpourri now?
What's easier than finance?
basket weaving?

So as i wade through all this sarcasm, are you telling me that finance is a really easy major and it won't matter to law schools of i do the other major?

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 08:39:35 PM »
I was just responding to the question "What's easier than finance?"

Talk Is Cheap

• F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »
psssh...I would totally stick with finance. Give you good background if nothing else...I wish all the time I would have gone for a finance or accounting major rather than the stupid liberal arts *&^% I ended up getting.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 08:59:31 PM »
If it were me I'd stick with the Finance degree.  Presumably, you have at least some interest in finance, yes?  Yeah, you could graduate a year earlier and work, but in that scenario you're betting 100% on law school and lawyering.  What if you hate law school?  What if you become a lawyer for a few years and decide it isn't for you (lots of lawyers drop out of the profession every year)?  In that case, that finance degree is going to be a lot more useful than "interdisciplinary studies."

Also, I wouldn't really worry about taking any law-specific UG courses.  They're not necessary whatsoever.  In fact, I've often read that law school adcomms look on majors like prelaw and criminal justice with disfavor.  Not sure they'd be that thrilled with interdisciplinary studies either.

But again, that's just me.

For some reason I thought I replied already but all I can add to this is that finance will actually allow you to save money much more efficiently than the year of extra working time. It's ridiculous how much better your opportunities are (I'm a liberal arts person by the way).

A bachelor's in finance can be a career in itself. You can work for some years, gain great experience, invest $ and get it growing for your baby's eventual education, or to defray LS loans.

Furthermore the extra time you spend in school can be used raising your GPA

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 12:50:06 AM »
As a graduated finance major, I completely recommend majoring in finance.  A finance degree will afford you many, many more opportunities than a major in "interdisciplinary studies."  The extra time will be worth it.  I can't count the number of times I have said to myself, "Thank God I majored in finance."  Why?  Super useful subject to study whether you get a job in finance or not!   

Funny story:

A guy I went out with once asked me what I studied. "Finance," I replied.  He paused for a moment, then said, "Oh... that's just... kind of... intimidating."

He majored in English.
That was our last date. 

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 04:05:29 AM »
Sunnykate: please define your use of the term "funny" in the above post.

OP: Do whichever boosts your GPA.