Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: I don't have to score as high - split from BLSD  (Read 1811 times)

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have to score as high - split from BLSD
« on: October 21, 2007, 02:29:28 PM »
OK.

I'm prob. going to get attacked for saying this, but yes you will get into schools with lower #s than white students if you're a minority.  That's just how it is.  I'm not going to make a normative argument as to how smart admitted black students are vis a vis white ones, or the merits of AA, but it seems disingenous to beat around the bush and say things like "it depends" and "you can't be sure."  I'm not sure why there are so many AA supporters who like to pretend that AA doesn't exist, or that all the black students who get in with numbers that are below their school's medians were accepted because of their "soft factors."  It just seems like BS to me.  I'm a very ardent supporter of affirmative action, but it's really dishonest to try to avoid telling someone who's ignorant about the process that black students are simply accepted with lower #s than are their white counterparts.  This doesn't mean that they are any less smart or qualified but lower #s they do have.

That said, you should do the best you can do.  It's ridiculous to not work hard because you think you can coast along on AA.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: I don\\\
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
OK.

I'm prob. going to get attacked for saying this, but yes you will get into schools with lower #s than white students if you're a minority.  That's just how it is.  I'm not going to make a normative argument as to how smart admitted black students are vis a vis white ones, or the merits of AA, but it seems disingenous to beat around the bush and say things like "it depends" and "you can't be sure."  I'm not sure why there are so many AA supporters who like to pretend that AA doesn't exist, or that all the black students who get in with numbers that are below their school's medians were accepted because of their "soft factors."  It just seems like BS to me.  I'm a very ardent supporter of affirmative action, but it's really dishonest to try to avoid telling someone who's ignorant about the process that black students are simply accepted with lower #s than are their white counterparts.  This doesn't mean that they are any less smart or qualified but lower #s they do have.

That said, you should do the best you can do.  It's ridiculous to not work hard because you think you can coast along on AA.

Oh please.  No one is saying that mess.  There is a reason why me, Alci, Sands et all gave the OP blunt and curt responses--because we don't want another AA debate going on here on BLSD.  We get those like every other week and there is a whole board just for AA debates.  No one is saying that AA isn't in effect in ls admissions--we just don't want another flame war.
Columbia 3L

Smokey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I don\\\
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 02:42:30 PM »
OK.

Oh please.  No one is saying that mess.  There is a reason why me, Alci, Sands et all gave the OP blunt and curt responses--because we don't want another AA debate going on here on BLSD.  We get those like every other week and there is a whole board just for AA debates.  No one is saying that AA isn't in effect in ls admissions--we just don't want another flame war.

Several posters have implied that what the OP suggested isn't correct.

My point is that she should just get a simple, direct response and that can be the end of it.

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have to score as high - split from BLSD
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 04:40:47 AM »
The OP is a flame and not very bright with it (I'm not old school BLSD so I can say whatever the @#!* I want)

If she really needs to come to a website and ask the opinion of strangers to verify something that is perfectly obvious to even the most casual observer, then URM or no URM, she'll be dinged at every school she applies to, why? They don't like PSs in crayon.

Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!