Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY law or hofstra on scholarship?  (Read 1587 times)

scolomon

NY law or hofstra on scholarship?
« on: March 15, 2004, 05:22:50 PM »
I have to decide to put a deposit down on hofstra or nylaw.
I was waitlisted at st johns and brooklyn, i hated seton hall and cuse so i eliminated them.
What are your thoughts?
NY law vs Hofstra?
I am interested in intnl law and sports/entertainment law.
You dont need to suggest other schools, I probably applied to them and was rejected.
Thanks

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
Re: NY law or hofstra on scholarship?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 08:28:23 PM »
how much $ did you get at hofstra? because NYL is clearly a better and more well regarded school than Hofstra.
Anyways GL with the chioce.

abmarz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 08:39:25 PM »
I completely disagree. Hofstra is a much better school than NYL. Not only by the rankings, but also by reputation.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 09:08:07 PM »
no way, i would pick ny law over hofstra...i got offered more money for hofstra which makes me think they are a lesser school...

scolomon

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 11:55:38 PM »
hofstra is offering me 12,500 a year
Hofstra apparently is gonna be in the 2nd tier next year or the year after. I spoke with the dean at a reception and he said it was the number 1 school in the third tier even though US NEWS didnt reflect that. He also said they were trying to become more of a national law school rather than NY local one.
It seems like Hofstra is on the up and up.
But who knows?
How much is propoganda?
What do you think MINUS THE SCHOLARSHIP
which has a better reputation?

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 01:23:10 AM »
IMO NYL is better. According to the purported USNews rankings, NYL is ranked 100th (tier 2) while Hofstra isn't there. NYL is also in a great location in Manhattan. Im not sure where Hofstra is (Long Island?) but that may be somthing to consider. NYL  was my safety school mainly becase of the location (I got in to St. John's with much more $ than NYL offered me so I sent a thanks but no thanks letter to NYL). Anyways, Ive gotten a generally good impression from NYL overall through communique with the school and a short visit over the summer. You should definatley check both out if youre in the NY area or going to visit. BTW scolomon, may I ask you your #'s? just curious is all... Career prospesct, quite frankly are limited from both schools but I think NYL again comes out on top (if only marginally). And again, imo, neither is ever going to be a national school, both will, for the most part limit you to the NY area. Just some thoughts and gl.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 09:21:41 AM »
see now isn't that interesting b/c i got much more to go to NY LAW than st johns?  ny law's offer is better, and even though it's tier 2, i made their honors program so i'm looking at more positive things...

im still WAITING on 3 more :(

scolomon

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 10:31:03 AM »
thats not interesting st johns is better than ny law by a lot
I am starting to think the majority of people on this board have no idea what they are talking about

abmarz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 01:42:37 PM »
Hofstra is better than NYL, hands down. I have visited both. Hofstra has a better faculty, better clinics, better reputation, etc. Hofstra's administration does an excellent job as well. NYL is NOT ranked above Hofstra.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 03:50:32 PM »
thats not interesting st johns is better than ny law by a lot
I am starting to think the majority of people on this board have no idea what they are talking about

i know sju is better. i was saying HE was interesting bc he got more for sju than ny law, when in turn, it should be the opposite.

i got 20k to hofstra, def. wouldnt take it only bc its in LI and they do not get a jump on jobs in the city, location is key.