Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SLS 1l taking questions  (Read 1038 times)

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SLS 1l taking questions
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 03:36:53 PM »
I'd be happy to take a few more today.

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 03:59:21 PM »
Stanford seems to really like high gpas but do you see alot of kids with the high lsats/eh gpa combo there?

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 04:44:36 PM »
Stanford seems to really like high gpas but do you see alot of kids with the high lsats/eh gpa combo there?

I haven't really discussed numbers with anyone here.  My sense, though, is that if you're a non-URM and only have an "eh" GPA, you'd probably need a really compelling story of some sort to get in, and even then it would be a longshot.

skillerj

• You want to eat?
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolNumbers
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 01:09:50 PM »
A non-admission-related Q:

If I remember correctly, Stanford is surrounded by the woods. Do SLS people have a life? If so, what kind? :P

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 07:07:52 PM »
A non-admission-related Q:

If I remember correctly, Stanford is surrounded by the woods. Do SLS people have a life? If so, what kind? :P

On the one hand, there are people like me who spend most of their time worrying about exams (even though I'm a horrible procrastinator and almost never actually outline or study).  On the other hand, there are folks who go out 2+ times per week M-F, play sports frequently, and do almost no work of any sort on weekends.  Most folks probably fall somewhere in between.  It's really a matter of disposition.  Plenty of opportunities for fun should you choose to take advantage of them.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 07:37:29 PM »
Is it very competitive there, as I have heard Boalt is not cut throat at all, but I would figure not because everyone there is going to probably get any job offer they want. Do you mind sharing more about your PS as it seems the black box of Stanford admissions is exactly that.

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 09:20:43 PM »
Is it very competitive there, as I have heard Boalt is not cut throat at all, but I would figure not because everyone there is going to probably get any job offer they want. Do you mind sharing more about your PS as it seems the black box of Stanford admissions is exactly that.

It's competitive in the sense that there are lots of smart people who, at least during the first term of 1l, are willing to work very hard to try to do their best to be well-prepared come exam time.  It's not competitive in the sense that folks are trying to undermine or one-up one another.  I don't know if any good school is competive in the latter sense, but this one certainly isn't.

Thematically, my personal statement was nothing special.  I just wrote about my academic interests and inclinations, and my commitment to public service.  A sweeping, compelling narrative is probably best if you're borderline (which I was), but it would've been hard for me to write that sort of PS.  Regardless of what approach you choose, take pains to ensure that you come across as capable and grounded.  I think I did a fairly good job of that.

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 09:30:15 PM »
On-campus housing is pretty good and the prices seem reasonable.  You'll probably pay about $650 per month if you live with one or more roommates.  An on-campus studio costs $1,000 per month (even if you want a studio, you may not get one--I think the demand exceeeds the supply by a pretty wide margin).  If you don't meet anyone you wish to live with during the admissions cycle, the university will match you up with other grad students based on shared preferences expressed on your housing application forms.  Everyone I've met seems to like the roommates they were matched with.

The main additional expense of Stanford is transit-related.  Most people want a car so that they don't have to walk for 25 minutes (or catch a bus) to get into town.  But if you do have a car, it's also easy to get to San Fran, the beach, or the mountains.  That's hard to beat, and I'm considering buying a car to take advantage of those opportunities.