Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Ideas/Feedback on Midwest/Minnesota Schools  (Read 613 times)

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
Need Ideas/Feedback on Midwest/Minnesota Schools
« on: October 20, 2007, 03:00:38 AM »
 ;)

ElMismoPandejo

• View Profile
Re: Need Ideas/Feedback on Midwest/Minnesota Schools
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 09:21:47 PM »
Don't go to William Mitchell.  Minn is a small market, everyone is from the same school (UMinn) and they all want the same firms, so it's kind of a clusterf***k.  At William Mitchell this problem is multiplied X10 because it's a TTTT.  You'd only want to go to WM if they give you lots and lots of money, and they probably won't in your case because there are many others like you.

Try to retake the LSAT is the best advice I can give you.

If you're dead-set on working in Minnesota, with your numbers I don't know.  Apply to UMN just for the hell of it, and apply to Wisconsin and Iowa; you'll get reciprocity tuition at Wisconsin and there are ways to get in-state at Iowa.  I actually wouldn't apply anywhere else unless you just want to be a solo or something.

Most big Mpls firms recruit at Wisconsin and Iowa, and all will be open to you with your MN ties.  You'll still need at least top 20% to get close to Minneapolis market-rate pay.  At Minnesota you'd probably need to be within 25-33%, but you have closer access to smaller firms in your market if you go to UMN.

You might not get into either Wisconsin or Iowa without at least a 163-164, Minnesota looks much better with a 165-166.  That's only like 3-4 more questions right and you've got a month and a half to get ready.  So do it!

Don Karnage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 01:19:51 AM »
you'll get reciprocity tuition at Wisconsin and there are ways to get in-state at Iowa.

ugh, reciprocity is sh*t these days thanks to the U of M's high tuition. New reciprocity rules say students pay the higher of the tuitions between the state institutions. If you want to go to Wisco then you're still going to shell out the $22k+ U of M instate tuition. For Iowa you'd qualify for the midwest student exchange tuition rate, which would be %150 of their instate costs, which is still cheaper by about 4 grand than instate UMN. In fact, it'd be cheaper if you could do the midwest student exchange with Wisco, but you can't. UMN's outrageous instate tuition(a good 10 grand more than Iowa's and Wisconsin's instate, not to mention most of the country's) and the new reciprocity rules have rendered the whole reciprocity program worthless for law school.

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:23:10 PM »
I went to the U of M for undergrad and applied there as well as UW Madison last year.  I had a 3.64, 157 and I was waitlisted at both, applying at the end of the cycle.  I think you at least have a shot at both with your scores, especially if you have good soft factors.  If you want to retake, apply now and let them know you are retaking in December.  That way you won't have to wait for your next score and will have a better shot at getting in than if you wait.

I really liked WM when I visited, and I've heard it has a good reputation in the cities.  If you know that's where you want to be, I think you would be fine going there.  I'm guessing since your scores are above their averages you'll get some decent money to go there. 
Boston College Class of 2011!