Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Difference between Traditional and Non-Traditional?  (Read 7818 times)

sagemenscircle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Difference between Traditional and Non-Traditional?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2004, 10:52:56 PM »
If your co-workers ridicule your ambition to go to law school, you might be "non-traditional'". I like the previous posts.

This kinda reminds me of the definition of "minor surgery": "surgery on someone else!"

Non-traditional tends to be whatever some 22 yr old thinks is completely crazy, wierd, etc. If you are definitely non-hip, clueless, etc you might be non-traditional...
"Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae"
Every man is the architect of his own fortune.
Appius Claudius

Wisdom

• Assholes are like trees and I live in a forest.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2004, 09:53:19 PM »
Somehow, being 22 and having the ability to successfully procreate, does not define one as non-traditional to me.

CATLAWRN

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2004, 03:04:20 PM »
Thank you all for your thoughts. I am wondering if I would be considered a non traditional student based on the comments on this board.
I will apply to T1 and T2 schools in the NE.  I have 9 years WE as a RN (non BSN). I could not finish my BSN because I had a child with a major congenital heart defect. So now, I am back in school and will finish up my BA in Spring 05 - currently 3.86 GPA. I work full time and attend school full time in the evenings.  I take the LSAT in October.
I am hoping that admissions can consider me despite my age which is 33.  Thoughts?

jd4me

• gpa 3.49/lsat Oct
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2004, 06:46:07 PM »
Jeez, don't worry about being 33.  You're way younger than a lot of people on this board including me.  With a 3.86 you'll have no problems getting into a T1 if you get 155+ on the lsat. Still, apply to T2 schools for safeties.  Good luck, but I don't think you need it.  ;)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2004, 11:50:51 PM »
Last night I bought Montauk;s book - "How to get into the top law schools."  At the checkout counter, the kid asked me, "Oh, gotta a kid interested in law school huh?  "ummmm no the book is for me."  Son of a ....!

That might work as a guideline for defining non-trad.  >:(
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

revolution9

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2004, 10:37:55 PM »
I have been told I meet the "non-traditional applicant" criteria.  When I contacted some Canadian schools, they have said I could apply as a discretionary applicant (I assume this is the equivalent there?).

Anyway, I am 25, I was a homeless war refugee drifting between 4 countries with essentially the clothes on my back, a minor at the time, before finally settling down.  I learned to speak 4 languages fluently, begged different school districts to let me attend school on humanitarian grounds before I had my immigration papers done, etc. I got a degree in Immunology, and then moved to medical research where I was patenting breast cancer drugs.  Got interested in law mainly because of my contact with IP lawyers.  I am now considering law, thanks to a competitive LSAT, but fair or unfair, I think that my low-side GPA will probably be acceptable in the non-traditional or discretionary category.  ie. someone in a traditional category with my GPA (~3.4) would not have as good a chance as I do of getting in based on economic/social/personal hardship anyway.

I'm kind of mulling it over, not sure if I want to step away from cancer research to something like law, LOL.

luluhallmark

• GPA 3.8-LSAT:TOO ASHAMED TO POST!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2004, 11:12:43 PM »
So I guess I'm the ultimate non-trad student.  I'm 35 years old, I've worked since I 16, I'm a single dad of a 12 year old son, I volunteer as a coach for my son's little league team, did all my ungrad work at night (two degrees), while I worked FT in the day.  Worked as a paralegal for seven years, with the office of the state attorney, and the private sector.  Would all this experience give me some kind of edge?  Anyone?  ???

Wow, you sound like the "male" version of me.  I am 39 years of age, am a single mother of two daughters, have a 3.8 GPA am freaked out but taking the LSAT on Saturday, I am a Senior Litigation Paralegal (12 years and going strong), have always worked full time and gone to college, and raised two kids (virtually alone), grew up in a rural poor farming community in Arkansas, was a teenage mother at that, never been on welfare, pulled myself up from the depths of hell, and, and......I WOULD HOPE THIS GIVES US SOME KIND OF AN EDGE!  If it doesn't prove we're tough and up to a challenge, then go ahead and admit Daddy's little girl who has no intention of practicing law but would like the little diploma in the frame on the wall.......whew........sorry. .......studying too hard. :o
Applied:  Baylor, SMU, U of Tenn, Hofstra, U of Houston, Duke, Texas Tech, U of Ark-Fayetteville, George Mason, LSU, Washington and Lee, and Case Western
Denied:  None
Accepted:  None

LSAT SCORE:  DO OVER!!!

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2004, 04:55:46 AM »
For those of you who have missed my posts....it is not going to help you one iota even if you define "nontrad" and don't have the numbers.  Do you really believe these schools have the time to read EVERY SINGLE APP.  People here call them "presumptive rejects."  There is no presumption at all without good numbers.  If you have the numbers to get passed the auto reject machine (yes, they exist for all you optimists), you will be slightly advantaged over a non-trad, and slightly disadvantaged to a 22 year old URM.  (yes, the auto reject machine kicks out apps with URM checked)

The best bet is to find the non trad whores, just like the 22-25 year olds with their 170+ LSAT whore schools.  I still can't believe somebody can get into a top 14 with a 170+ Lsat and a history major.  I look at it this way, if the system is so screwed up, hopefully one school will screw up and accept me.   >:(
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

mhgarrtt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2004, 11:45:05 PM »
Um......let's see, non-traditional student would be.......me! LOL. I have been out of school for 12 years raising 4 beautiful kids (and yes, I do have a minivan parked in the driveway!!) To give you an idea, I started working on my BS in 1989 LOL I agree with what another post said, just tell someone you're applying to law school, if they say WHY?????????? then you are probably a non-traditional student ;D