Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Difference between Traditional and Non-Traditional?  (Read 7814 times)

Anti_Ivy

Re: Difference between Traditional and Non-Traditional?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 11:36:45 AM »
I would consider non-tradtional to be someone very unlikely to attend law-school given their circumstances.

Since the deaf student doesn't have any life circumstances that would make attending law school unlikely, I wouldn't characterize him as non-traditional.

I'm not trying to argue with your opinion, but I must ask you to clarify your last statement. 

You say that to be non-traditional, one should "be someone very unlikely to attend law-school given their circumstances."  How is not being able to hear and only being able to choose between law schools that have students/professors who are not fluent in sign-language make one 'likely' to attend law school?  I think that is the same as a person who speaks only Farsi applying to an American law school, where hardly anyone would be fluent in Farsi.

Also, isn't deafness a "life circumstance?"  After all, being deaf will alter a person's life.  Even if s/he had no problems in school, s/he wold be denyed jobs because of her/his disability.  A deaf person cannot be a police office, and FBI agent, etc.

nathanielmark

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 12:28:53 PM »
I was making the assumption that the deaf individual was able to read lips well enough to attend class and compete successfully with the rest of the students.

but they probably should be considered NT as well.

Besides, don't you have anything better to do then browse messageboards? ;)

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 12:39:59 PM »
don't you have anything better to do then browse messageboards? ;)

Yes, but I am on Spring Break and the hotel has wireless internet connections.  Also, my sociology prof is letting me research this site for my term paper.

Anyway, you have more as many posts than as I do!!  :P

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 01:40:36 PM »
This is a repost from my answer to a similar question a whle back.....

.......... Non-traditional students usually define themselves on several levels.

1. Having been out of school for a few years (like 10 or so).  If you have voted in more than 3 presidential elections it's pretty safe to assume your a non-traditional student.

2. Having family responsibilities.  If you have a spouse, a couple kids and a mortgage. You fit the bill.
Look in your driveway...Do you see a minivan or other mommy assault vehicle?

3. You have a full time job while going to law school.

4. If "traditional students" ask you what class you teach or boy scouts offer to help you cross the street.

5. If you itemize on your taxes. That is a good hint but not conclusive evidence.

I think you get the picture.  My "non-traditional" aquaintences include single parents, retired military officers, doctors, a mother of 5, people who have adult children practicing law, police officers, a stripper,firemen, a steel worker who has rotating shifts, stay home dads, and a few immigrants.

hdsteele

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 02:12:53 PM »
Its really pretty simple - go grab a neighbor, friend, co-worker, anyone who knows you.  Look them straight in the eye and say "Hey! I'm applying to law school".  If they respond with "You are applying to WHAT?" then you are non-traditional.  :)

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 06:40:53 PM »
Well...let's say you're a non-traditional student.  You have worked for years and perhaps have some military background with  leadership experience.  How much of an edge, if any, does this give you in the admissions process?  I'm thinking slight.  Anybody....?

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 09:26:25 AM »
I think if you get down to choosing between two students with equal GPA/LSAT, Similar Undergrad schools, etc.  An older student with quality experince will have a slight edge. 

For, example, military service seems to be valuable.  I don't mean Natioal Guard.  If you served 10 years as an officer, pilot, etc.  Maybe spent some time in a war zone.  That seems to help.If you spent a considerable amount of time helping others that makes for a good personal statement. 

Just being older does not help.  Sometimes it can hurt.  Older students have had more chances to screw something up. That doesn't make iy "fair",  just reality.

jgruber

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2004, 09:28:54 AM »
I think if you get down to choosing between two students with equal GPA/LSAT, Similar Undergrad schools, etc.  An older student with quality experince will have a slight edge. 

For, example, military service seems to be valuable.  I don't mean Natioal Guard.  If you served 10 years as an officer, pilot, etc.  Maybe spent some time in a war zone.  That seems to help.If you spent a considerable amount of time helping others that makes for a good personal statement. 

Just being older does not help.  Sometimes it can hurt.  Older students have had more chances to screw something up. That doesn't make iy "fair",  just reality.

I think the advantage of being older is that you've had more opportunities to show your character.  Hmm.  That's not always an advantage is it?   ;)

JuanPRL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2004, 04:08:09 PM »
So I guess I'm the ultimate non-trad student.  I'm 35 years old, I've worked since I 16, I'm a single dad of a 12 year old son, I volunteer as a coach for my son's little league team, did all my ungrad work at night (two degrees), while I worked FT in the day.  Worked as a paralegal for seven years, with the office of the state attorney, and the private sector.  Would all this experience give me some kind of edge?  Anyone?  ???

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2004, 04:00:06 PM »
I'm wondering if the term "non-traditional" is going to change.  It seems more people are going into law school, or at least applying, since the IT bust.  Or maybe it is just me going into it because of the IT bust???