Law School Discussion

Michigan Invitations and Acceptance Stats

M2

Michigan Invitations and Acceptance Stats
« on: September 26, 2004, 09:46:12 AM »
Looks like not everyone who gets the invitation gets a fee waiver (like me)...also check out these stats.

If you sent me an invitation to apply, am I more likely to be accepted?

We only send invitations to apply to those people who, through the information they provide to LSAC's Candidate Referral Service, seem like they would be competitive applicants. That said, of course, the only information we have available to us through the Candidate Referral Service is an applicant's LSAT, GPA, major, and undergraduate institution. However, we take many, many other things into account in our application review; in other words, an invitation to apply cannot amount to a guarantee of admission, because there is still much significant information we have yet to learn. That said, receiving an invitation does indicate a much greater likelihood of admission. In 2003-04, we admitted less than 20% of the overall applicant pool, but we admitted almost 40% of those whose numbers were in the range to receive an invitation, and 65% of those who received a fee waiver with their invitation.

absy

• View Profile
Re: Michigan Invitations and Acceptance Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 10:01:36 AM »
I wish Columbia would give some information into this as well.  But from the tone of their letter, it seems like the response would be "We waived your fee; now stop whining and apply.  You should be happy to hear from us at all."

gobears

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 05:06:48 PM »
M2, I think you mentioned elsewhere that you had something like a 3.5/168, right?  Fee waiver or not, the bottom line is I believe you've got a solid shot at Michigan, if you get your app in early, like before the end of October.  Michigan is apparently known for filling their class early on, but with your numbers you should be fairly competitive for Michigan, again, if you apply early.

M2

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 05:11:30 PM »
Yep 3.52/168

Thanks for the words of encouragement...I hope that you are right

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 07:52:15 PM »
Yep 3.52/168

M2, I'm just wondering where you were going to apply.  I have similar numbers as you (well, a little lower - 3.45, 166) and was trying to decide which schools were worth a shot.

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 04:45:42 PM »
thank you for a lovely thread that brightened up my day  :D

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 04:47:36 PM »
M2, where'd you get that info?  That's awesome!  :)

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 05:35:43 PM »
I found it
http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/Admissions/faq.htm#admission

Thank you!  I suppose I could have just Googled a phrase of the original post to find that myself.   :-[

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 08:01:53 PM »
I'll forgive you  :)