Law School Discussion

Re: I blew it
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2007, 04:08:11 PM »
Well, I'm really disappointed in my 170, but I looked at the ones I got wrong and there's really only one I'd answer differently if I took it over. A lot of questions were really close on this test.

Go hang out at Top Law Schools--you're not going to get much sympathy here.

What's the address for that? I mean, every prep test I'd get a 178 or so, and my GPA's horrid, I needed a really high score.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 04:11:34 PM »
Well, I'm really disappointed in my 170, but I looked at the ones I got wrong and there's really only one I'd answer differently if I took it over. A lot of questions were really close on this test.

Go hang out at Top Law Schools--you're not going to get much sympathy here.

What's the address for that? I mean, every prep test I'd get a 178 or so, and my GPA's horrid, I needed a really high score.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/ best of luck.

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 04:30:37 PM »

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »
I am going to respond to all of the PMs right now. You are are really supportive. Thanks

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2007, 10:06:54 PM »
thanks again everyone

terranullius

• "A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire
    • View Profile
    • terra nullius
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 09:07:06 AM »
You may want to rethink taking again in December.

Just an FYI, I got a 158 in June, and a 160 in September. I want to take it again in December, but I'm not going to. Why? Because every book I've read cautions against it. Unless you have a huge leap in improvement (especially after having two very similar scores), it's not worth it. It may lead admissions councils to question your judgement.

If you retake it, I wish you the best of luck. It's not the end of the world. You just have to accept things as they are and make the best of it.

terranullius

• "A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire
    • View Profile
    • terra nullius
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 09:41:16 AM »
So long as those circumstances are well explained, I'll agree that taking the test a third time would be a good idea. I wasn't saying no, don't do it. I was saying think about it.

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2007, 10:38:41 AM »

qt314

• pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »
I am SOOO glad you're going to go for it!

The most important thing is to make sure you figure out what went wrong and to not let history repeat itself. Do you take a lot of timed tests? Try to add some element of stress to the situation: have a friend sit there and time you, or be somewhere public/chatty. And make sure you take all five sections (put in dummy ones) with short breaks, to replicate the conditions of the test. Try taking them early in the morning. These were all suggestions my bf gave me when I took the LSAT, because he took a test-prep course for the GREs and ended up scoring lower than his practice tests when he got thrown off by different conditions (especially the extra dummy section).

And I know this sounds obvious, but a lot of people don't do this rigorously (I know I didn't, not consistently): go over every single one of the questions you got wrong, figure out why you reasoned the way you did, and understand the LSAT reasoning. See how you can change the way you approach questions based on the difference in how you reasoned your way to the answer.

Anyway... I hope I don't come across as preachy/pedantic on these posts, it's just that I really don't see how an LSAT score can define your potential as a lawyer. The 0.4 or whatever correlation I've seen cited sounds ridiculous, even though I'll take it because it happens to work in my favor during admissions. The point is, I would hate to see a potentially amazing lawyer turn away from law school (even a top law school) because s/he got frustrated initially by something as mechanical as a standardized exam.

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2007, 11:20:24 AM »
Hey truth i got a 156, i was pretty pissed, I think I had the same exact throughts go through my head.

I missed 5 of 7 questions on the first game, I got a 14 on that section, I usually get nothing less than 19 (depending on how many questions).

I had problems with RC too, I hate practicing it. Anyway Good luck, i signed up for the december 01st test, at least in not as long in between as June 11 and September 29th,  One last hoorah, my 3rd attempt.

Im gonna try to get my apps out this week also, and see what happens, Good luck buddy.