Law School Discussion

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 08:17:24 PM »

Re: I blew it
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 08:49:48 PM »
The correlation between LSAT scores and performance in law school is not rock solid--in fact, it's kind of sketchy. LSAC's validity studies found a median correlation of .39--not exactly overwhelming!

http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/additional-info/lsat-scores-as-predictors.asp

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:42:54 PM »
Truth, I've been reading your posts and you were one of the only ones I've trusted on this site.  I finally decided to post today for the first time, out of enthusiasm for getting my score.  And what happened to me?  I f-ing blew it too.  Can't get out of the 150s, my third try, despite good practice tests.  Even after a class.  And I'm a pretty bright individual a few hours shy of a master's degree.

I just can't stop feeling like this is a sign.  I mean, how can it not be?  I might not be cut out for law school, it just might not be my destiny.  I thought if I invested my money in a class and worked my ass off for this test, which I did, I would get a great score and that would be my sign.  @#!* that.  @#!* that 1300 dollars.  @#!* 8 weeks of insomnia.  I'm over it.  I'm sorry for your disappointment as well.  Just know that you're not alone.  Mostly, I'm pissed because I thought I had a real plan - a good one, that would lead me to Columbia to save the world with international human rights law.  But clearly, that's not going to happen.  Time for a new plan.  Maybe it really wasn't supposed to happen. 

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 11:45:18 PM »

Noooo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 11:57:09 PM »
Eh, don't worry about it. I'm in the same boat as you, only having scored one point higher on this one than I did on the June (163-164). The way I'm looking at it: now at least I know my target/reach/safety schools, and I can concentrate on where I have a realistic shot at getting in, and where I should end my pipe dreams.

How is scoring one point higher to reach 158 in the same boat as one point higher to rach 164-165 (which, should either be one of the other, not a range, but OK)?  Truth wanted to go to Columbia, so why say "eh don't worry about it"?  Not trying to be harsh but to me this read like half hearted consolation to Truth quickly morphed into pumping your fists for yourself.  But, congratulations to you.

qt314

• pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 12:03:03 AM »
hey truth, and laci.

in all seriousness, take time off and do something fun. don't make any major decisions now, and don't argue yourself into believing that law school is out of your future, whether any law school or the one you really want to go to. maybe you need to take a few years and build some real-world experience to off-set gpa or whatever. you probably need to sit down and figure out what's going on with your lsat scores, because obviously you guys are capable of doing much, much better - esp. if you read tons for history/philosophy or have done well on practice tests. but don't stress about that now - just let your head clear.

i'm a big believer in things coming to people who want them. my 1st year med school roommate failed every single test during her 1st year there, and she had to repeat that year. when she started again, she did *really badly* again. it got to the point where all of us started to gently ask her if maybe she should do something else. but she knew that this was what she wanted - she wanted to be a doctor. and she pushed through the first two years, low-passing everything. and then something clicked for her, and she honored the last two years of med school, and now she's at yale doing her mph before moving on to residency. i wouldn't have believed it, the first two years when i was tutoring her, because every time i tried to explain something that i thought was basic to her, she just didn't get it. but here's the point: she COULD get it, she was just so stressed out and so frustrated and had such low confidence that it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

hope this doesn't come across as preachy. i just really believe that if this is what you want, you need to figure out what's going wrong and fix it. and the lsat's not magic, so you can definitely fix it. i really want you guys to do well and become awesome lawyers.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 12:13:04 AM »
I know what you are saying Laci. I really do want to be a lawyer, but admissions officers are only going to see a big 157 and not me. I know I can do well in Law School. I am just having problems with the test. I mean I missed 14 RC questions. WTF?????? I'm a History and Philosophy major. I know how to read. But, . . . It doesn't matter.

The Truth..Im going to preach the same sermon I preached to one of my close friends. She took the test three times and couldnt score above 160. This girl has more potential then anybody I have ever met. Her resume is beyond extraodinary, she has LOR from Jeb Bush to several US Senators. Her dream school was Georgetown but she was waitlisted until the day before classes started. It was between Georgetown and UF, and she almost turned down her dream of receiving a JD because she couldnt attend the school of her dreams.

A week before school started she told me that she wasnt going to attend Law School unless she went where she wanted. I spent an hour with her on the phone reinforcing her dreams. The moral of the story is that she is going to UF and thought she was going to hate it. Today, she will tell you that this top 50 school has more bright people then she ever imagined. The diversity of students along with the intellectual abilities has surpassed all of her expectations. She is thankful that she didnt pass up her dreams. She is going to apply as a transfer student and you can to.

The school you attend isnt everything and I will admit that I need to realize this as well. I know people who are shareholders at major firms and they went to tier-4 schools.

Go to law School, do your best, and pursue your dreams. You will meet your wildest expectations. The LSAT DOES NOT indicate your success as an attorney and you can overcome any obstacle.

qt314

• pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 12:15:49 AM »
^^ That's true! That's good point, Trump. You can apply to a lower-ranked school, kick ass the first year and transfer.

There's ALWAYS a way. :)

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 12:22:46 AM »
There is always a way. If you do great your first year you can transfer almost anywhere. I have read and heard about some extreme stories. Anything is possible but your dreams are imminent so dont pass up your dreams for a road block. Move the hurdle and surpass your expectations.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 07:51:15 AM »
I've got some news that might come as a shock to you, but life is full of disappointments. Thinking of giving up because you won't get into T14 is like preferring to starve because you can only buy choice steak rather than USDA prime. 

You still scored in the top 72% and depending on your other standings (GPA, Resume) you should be able to get into a law school.  You can still become an attorney.  Pick yourself up, quit bitching, and move on.