Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's thinking of retaking?  (Read 2159 times)

stephster416

• View Profile
    • Email
Who's thinking of retaking?
« on: October 19, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »
I was scoring between 170-175 on my last practice tests, but I got a 166. I feel like it's JUST low enough to be really disappointing, but not low enough to retake... what do you guys think? I have a 3.9 at BU too.
In - Cornell, Brooklyn, Cardozo ($$$), Baylor ($$$), Notre Dame ($), Washington & Lee ($$), Loyola ($)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: Who's thinking of retaking?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 07:20:42 PM »
Awwww Truth.  I'm so sorry you're not happy with your score. That sucks!

OP, it's up to you.  You still have a week or so to register for the December LSAT so use the next few days to collect some info on the schools you'd like to apply to. If 166 will get you there then why bother?

That's where I'm at, too.  I got a 167.  I feel like I could have scored a 170 (games got me) but I know that a 167 will probably get me into my school of choice so what is the point of retaking?  Pride?  Really, you are going to have to crunch some numbers and decide for yourself if retaking is worth it.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 07:27:35 PM »
If you really feel like the test was an aberration, take it again. I was in the position as you in June (166) and just got a 177 today. If you continue to study, it can happen.
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

stephster416

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 08:13:43 PM »
Thanks, that was helpful. I'm leaning towards sticking with this score. It can get me into several schools I'd be happy going to, and if I play my cards right and am a little lucky, maybe a few I'd be VERY happy going to... I don't think it's worth it to put myself through so much stress again for what would probably be only a few points.
In - Cornell, Brooklyn, Cardozo ($$$), Baylor ($$$), Notre Dame ($), Washington & Lee ($$), Loyola ($)

Jenny Li

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:20:37 PM »
I cancelled my score for Sep. I was so nervious but mostly because I felt like I would do better if I have 2 more months to study. but I am already getting tired of the same questions, and it seems like it is very tough to really boost up the score. only thing I can do it to really stand out for my personal statement and essays. do admissions counseling programs help, such as from Kaplan and Testmaters..??

fearlesscowboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 08:21:25 PM »
Logic games keep screwing me.  I only scored marginally better than June.  I was getting 170+ on the practice tests with very few misses in RC and LG.  But on September I screwed up the first LR and the LG (missing 9).  Logic games are just so unusual for me.  I've signed up for December.  But I know that it looks bad to take the test three times.  I want to die right now. 

I do not know what to do.  My parents, professors, and mentors are going to be disappointed in me.  I know of a few people who took the test three times and were able to go to good schools, but I do not know if I could pull it through.

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
I just felt compelled to write again - if games were your downfall, seriously consider retaking. This is by far the easiest section to improve on.

I missed 7 LG questions in June because I just got frazzled and freaked out. When I studied this time around, I practically lived and breathed Logic Games. I did drills/ timed sections everyday and this time I didn't miss any!

It can happen. Good luck to all!
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 10:35:08 PM »
If this was June, and I had the option of re-taking in September, I'd do it.
I just don't know if I can justify delaying my applications until January.

I got a 164, missing 7 on games, where I'd usually only miss 2 or 3, did about my average on LR, and rocked the RC.

This weekend is gonna be full of big decisions for a lot of people.

N86

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 02:16:32 AM »
i'm thinking of retaking...got a 162...i need at least a 167 or 168 to get into the schools i want to....preferably a 170. i totally blew games, i got 7 wrong...

i dunno, i just hate the lsat.

I think I beat you out for the definition of blowing the games, 162 and a -12 on the LG.

sg7007

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 02:34:21 AM »
I got 12 wrong in the LRs combined. I used to get 4 or 5 wrong on each LR. I got a 164, but I got a strong feeling that I can get over 170 if I put in a little more time. I started from 153, but I think I just had a hard time figuring out the format of the test and managing time. Now I know for sure that if I study more, I have a potential to go to Havard or Yale, I'm debating.. How disadvantageous is it to take the Feb LSAT and apply to schools late?