Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I don't have to score as high?  (Read 4243 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: I don't have to score as high?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 12:50:47 PM »
I am a seasoned, cynical 3L.  When you get to be my age, young lady, you can say whatever you damn well please ;).
Well, I guess I have something to look forward to!

LOL!

Tru Gem, you have to understand that the question that you posed is a question that basically speaks to the heart of the AA debate:  do blacks get an unfair advantage for being black?  Those of us who have been on here for some years have seen this endless debate go round and round and round.  It gets nowhere, its troublesome, and it usually reveals some very heated opinions about the history of race and the roll that race has played and still plays today.

So the more straight forward answer to your question from those of us who have gone through the law school admissions process is to forget what that individual told you at the law school fair; I tell every law school applicant (black, white, indian, whatever) what MCB said - get the highest score you can on the LSAT.  Period.

That is to say, whether or not you will receive any consideration at a law school because of your race should not be of a concern to you as a black law school applicant.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007, 05:53:12 PM »
While at a career fair a few months ago, I was told that by being black and a female that I would not have to score as high on my LSAT or have a high G.P.A. because I would probably be admitted to the law school anyway. The person that told be was black as well(I will not mention the school that he represented), but does that really apply everywhere?
I have been raised to work hard and do the best that I can so it's not like I want to depend on being a URM to get into law school.
What are your thoughts?

People have said that but it's sooooo not true.  I'm hoping this guy is only telling you that so you won't worry.  I'm really hoping that's what it was.  Usually ppl that say that are bitter about not getting into the school of their choice and claim that the reason was b/c of some minority taking their spot due to AA.  Please. 

Yes adcoms want diversity but not at the expense of quality. 

Yeah, I when I heard him say that I was like, dang he is kinda bold. But I am still praying that I score high on the LSAT because I have worked so hard.

I feel you and could tell that about you from your original post.   ;)  Hmmm.  Now I'm starting to think-  could he be just testing you?  Like I've been at interviews where someone would do or say something buck wild just to see what my reaction would be-  and that was the extent of the interview.  One time there was the boss' kids acting crazy.  I didn't roll my eyes, grab 'em.  I played with them.  Landed the job and was told later on that this was the interview; they were watching each candidate to see how they handled the pressure. There's a lot of ppl in this field who are extremely sarcastic/sadistic so I can def see that happening. And I've been at receptions, job fairs, school fairs where someone would say something racist or misogynist just to test how I would handle it.  Would I dare to disagree?  Would I defend my opinion?  Would I get offended and storm off?  Would I give off the "angry black woman" vibe?

Basically, anything like that comes up I think about that interview and those networking receptions.  Then I politely express my views careful not to use any slang to get my point across.

LOL don't worry about being called a flame, I remember when I first came to the board ppl thought I was an old, crusty,  white man for some of my extremely pro-black and AA views.    So I take everyone on here at face value until they prove themselves to be a flame.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Tru Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 05:17:22 PM »
While at a career fair a few months ago, I was told that by being black and a female that I would not have to score as high on my LSAT or have a high G.P.A. because I would probably be admitted to the law school anyway. The person that told be was black as well(I will not mention the school that he represented), but does that really apply everywhere?
I have been raised to work hard and do the best that I can so it's not like I want to depend on being a URM to get into law school.
What are your thoughts?

People have said that but it's sooooo not true.  I'm hoping this guy is only telling you that so you won't worry.  I'm really hoping that's what it was.  Usually ppl that say that are bitter about not getting into the school of their choice and claim that the reason was b/c of some minority taking their spot due to AA.  Please. 

Yes adcoms want diversity but not at the expense of quality. 

Yeah, I when I heard him say that I was like, dang he is kinda bold. But I am still praying that I score high on the LSAT because I have worked so hard.

I feel you and could tell that about you from your original post.   ;)  Hmmm.  Now I'm starting to think-  could he be just testing you?  Like I've been at interviews where someone would do or say something buck wild just to see what my reaction would be-  and that was the extent of the interview.  One time there was the boss' kids acting crazy.  I didn't roll my eyes, grab 'em.  I played with them.  Landed the job and was told later on that this was the interview; they were watching each candidate to see how they handled the pressure. There's a lot of ppl in this field who are extremely sarcastic/sadistic so I can def see that happening. And I've been at receptions, job fairs, school fairs where someone would say something racist or misogynist just to test how I would handle it.  Would I dare to disagree?  Would I defend my opinion?  Would I get offended and storm off?  Would I give off the "angry black woman" vibe?

Basically, anything like that comes up I think about that interview and those networking receptions.  Then I politely express my views careful not to use any slang to get my point across.

LOL don't worry about being called a flame, I remember when I first came to the board ppl thought I was an old, crusty,  white man for some of my extremely pro-black and AA views.    So I take everyone on here at face value until they prove themselves to be a flame.

A lady warned us about some interviewers that want try to catch you off guard. I want to thank you for reminding me to watch out for that. I don't really feel bad about being called an old flame though. I was kinda angry at first because instead of getting answers, I was being generalized. I was thinking, either answer it or go on. But I know who I am and I know what I meant.

Tru Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 05:54:40 PM »

That is to say, whether or not you will receive any consideration at a law school because of your race should not be of a concern to you as a black law school applicant.

You just mean that in the sense that she shouldn't slack on the LSAT, application, etc. because she can just rely on her race to get her into schools, right?  OP needs to consider race in deciding where to apply.

I think you took what Burnig Sands was saying out of context.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 03:03:29 AM »

You just mean that in the sense that she shouldn't slack on the LSAT, application, etc. because she can just rely on her race to get her into schools, right?  OP needs to consider race in deciding where to apply.

I think you took what Burnig Sands was saying out of context.

Advice #2: Don't fan the flame.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 10:02:14 AM »
[looks around - shrugs shoulders  ??? goes back to work]
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »

A lady warned us about some interviewers that want try to catch you off guard. I want to thank you for reminding me to watch out for that. I don't really feel bad about being called an old flame though. I was kinda angry at first because instead of getting answers, I was being generalized. I was thinking, either answer it or go on. But I know who I am and I know what I meant.

Yeah some of the comments I saw were completely unresponsive to your question.  But I guess I understand their reasoning b/c there are a few flames that come on here, I guess.

No problem.   You seem very determined and very much on your way.  :) 

It was definitely a weird thing to say, particularly at this stage of the application process, which is leading me to believe that it probably was a test/he was having a little fun with you. Eh, he's just a jerk.   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King