Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My Excuse For Not Getting Into My Dad's Law School  (Read 9294 times)

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
My Excuse For Not Getting Into My Dad's Law School
« on: October 18, 2007, 02:41:52 PM »
According to the American Bar Association, when my father began his legal education in 1968, there were just 3,554 women enrolled in ABA-accredited schools; when I began law school in 2005, there were 66,613. In 1971,  just 5,568 minority students attended ABA-accredited law school; in 2005, 29,768 did. Thereís a good chance my father couldnít get into the University of Michigan Law School today with his old scores.

Thatís the kind of sound-minded evaluation that can only be done in retrospect; before taking the LSAT, all I knew was that I had to score at least a 170 so I could get into my fatherís law school or else, like scientist George Darwin, Iíd be forever doomed to work in my fatherís professional shadow.

-LawSchoolBlogger

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: My Excuse For Not Getting Into My Dad's Law School
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:41:13 PM »
Learn more about what happens when you spam!

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11256
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:06:59 PM »

has he PMed you yet with a sad little "I'm sorry you don't like my posts. I really like yours :( :( (" yet? that seems to be his usual MO when someone calls him on being a feminine hygiene product spammer
Michigan '11

maryceleste

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 10:45:06 PM »

has he PMed you yet with a sad little "I'm sorry you don't like my posts. I really like yours :( :( (" yet? that seems to be his usual MO when someone calls him on being a feminine hygiene product spammer

Yes he did. Hello, where are the mods?!? I really don't need him spamming my inbox too.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 03:33:46 AM »
According to the American Bar Association, when my father began his legal education in 1968, there were just 3,554 women enrolled in ABA-accredited schools; when I began law school in 2005, there were 66,613. In 1971,  just 5,568 minority students attended ABA-accredited law school; in 2005, 29,768 did. Thereís a good chance my father couldnít get into the University of Michigan Law School today with his old scores.

-Learn more on my blog: LawSchoolBlogger

Thatís the kind of sound-minded evaluation that can only be done in retrospect; before taking the LSAT, all I knew was that I had to score at least a 170 so I could get into my fatherís law school or else, like scientist George Darwin, Iíd be forever doomed to work in my fatherís professional shadow.

Except, of course, that women and minorities generally score lower on the exam.

The reason it's harder to get into Michigan today is because there are far more applicants, period. 

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 12:01:27 PM »

Can't get into daddie's law school? Boo hoo.

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 12:49:10 PM »

I really enjoy reading his blog. It's well-written, interesting, and funny. I like that it's regularly updated and links to a lot of other law school/pre-law blogs.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »

Except, of course, that women and minorities generally score lower on the exam.

The reason it's harder to get into Michigan today is because there are far more applicants, period. 

Yes, there are more white male applicants too.  Fair point.

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 07:03:24 PM »

I really enjoy reading his blog. It's well-written, interesting, and funny. I like that it's regularly updated and links to a lot of other law school/pre-law blogs.

Thanks for the kind words.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 05:57:41 AM »
The important thing is to save face -- don't apply.  That way at least you won't have been rejected by your fathers law school.