• I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: My Excuse For Not Getting Into My Dad's Law School
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 05:42:14 PM »
I like his blog, too.  I read it often.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 10:51:10 PM »
I like his blog, too.  I read it often.

Thanks, Counselor Dotlyn.  Seems like most people on LSD aren't such LawSchoolBlogger fans...

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 10:56:10 PM »
Learn more about what happens when you spam!

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11256

I prefer to read a decent blog such as lsb - rather than stupid replies like this, whining about a boring overworked topic - spam.  There is some decent upbeat content at that site and no one forces you to visit the blog. I suspect you probably exhibit road rage behind the wheel for no reason too, nealric. Get back to your books or you'll flunk and then everyone will be spared the opportunity to hire you in the future.

«ě»

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 06:06:41 AM »
His blog generally sucks, which explains why he has to spam so much for it to get any attention.

just dot

• I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »

I prefer to read a decent blog such as lsb - rather than stupid replies like this, whining about a boring overworked topic - spam.  There is some decent upbeat content at that site and no one forces you to visit the blog. I suspect you probably exhibit road rage behind the wheel for no reason too, nealric. Get back to your books or you'll flunk and then everyone will be spared the opportunity to hire you in the future.

hahah!!  you should be ashamed of yourself, man.  that's not even subtle, and implicit in the shill is your perception of us as simpletons.

I also am sick of your advertisements.  people are generally turned off by someone so obviously self-involved.

that said, if dotlyn says it's alright, I'll check it out.  this is called word of mouth; this is how you should advertise, not by spamming LSD.

will edit once I've looked at your "lsb"

EDIT:  Well laid out.  Most recent post is some sort of self-congratulatory plug for your book.  That's annoying.  Generally well-written.  Trite subject matter; no posts seem particularly interesting on their face.  Right-hand column needs to be more user-friendly--it's too busy.  Do like the collection of links, but it's too much.  It sounds weird, but the whole page is sort of claustrophobic.  That's the best way I can say it, claustrophobic.

EDIT #2:  Spent another 10 minutes.  Honestly, I think you're trying too hard.  There's just too much going on here, and it isn't cohesive.  Also, re: your earlier post on this thread, I am calling flame on your supposed waitlist at Mich.  Am skeptical that someone, even with an alumnus father, even with financial considerations, even with a great reason to be in a particular city, can get as far as a waitlist at a solid T14 and then somehow wind up in the third tier.  You will have a hard time convincing me that adds up.  Which I think is part of my overall criticism of your blog; it just seems like you're trying to be something that doesn't come naturally.

Anyway, good luck to you.  Hope the book goes off well; please don't post about it at LSD too much?

I heart reezy.   :D

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 01:24:44 PM »

;D

Lol- I missed this one.

There is also plenty of upbeat content in the genital enlargement pill emails that I get on a daily basis  ::)

My problem is that you are using this forum not as a place to discuss law school, but as free advertising. Its just not appropriate.

Extra points for attacking me personally rather than the issue at hand. Good job to you!

P.S. as pointed out above, the shill does not fool anyone.

P.S.S. your blog is not any good.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 06:38:19 PM »
According to the American Bar Association, when my father began his legal education in 1968, there were just 3,554 women enrolled in ABA-accredited schools; when I began law school in 2005, there were 66,613. In 1971,  just 5,568 minority students attended ABA-accredited law school; in 2005, 29,768 did. There’s a good chance my father couldn’t get into the University of Michigan Law School today with his old scores.

-Learn more on my blog: LawSchoolBlogger

That’s the kind of sound-minded evaluation that can only be done in retrospect; before taking the LSAT, all I knew was that I had to score at least a 170 so I could get into my father’s law school or else, like scientist George Darwin, I’d be forever doomed to work in my father’s professional shadow.

Except, of course, that women and minorities generally score lower on the exam.

The reason it's harder to get into Michigan today is because there are far more applicants, period. 

lets make two simplifying assumptions and see how minorities can affect thigns even with lower scores.

Lets assume that the ratio of white to minorities and women has increased, not just that the absolute numbers have. So less say instead of a 95% share for white males, it is now a 75% share. The real numbers are irrelevant bc i am showing on on principle that affects it. Second simplifying assumption, that schools take students from the top of thei rpreference list down, and lsat scores are big in this ranking. Now simply think about it, they used to have 95% of spots going to this group, now they ahve 75%, average score needed to get in has to go up. It's simple, they can afford to be moreselective and still fill their seats.

Shark Week

• officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »

come on, "Counselor Lax", you could at least put a little bit of effort into your shills

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 04:58:45 AM »
The problem is the seats for URM's arent that few. If you look at the percentage of law school classes in top schools that are minorities compared with the prevalence of those minorities in society at large it is fairly clear they're getting preferential treatment. It needn't necessarily be that the seats are reserved, if they simply say added 5 points on the lsat it would still give them better representation and hurt OP.

I also concur that much of the importance of this issue is on the grounds of principle, but i don't think its practical effect is negligible.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »

hahah!!  you should be ashamed of yourself, man.  that's not even subtle, and implicit in the shill is your perception of us as simpletons.

I also am sick of your advertisements.  people are generally turned off by someone so obviously self-involved.

that said, if dotlyn says it's alright, I'll check it out.  this is called word of mouth; this is how you should advertise, not by spamming LSD.

will edit once I've looked at your "lsb"

EDIT:  Well laid out.  Most recent post is some sort of self-congratulatory plug for your book.  That's annoying.  Generally well-written.  Trite subject matter; no posts seem particularly interesting on their face.  Right-hand column needs to be more user-friendly--it's too busy.  Do like the collection of links, but it's too much.  It sounds weird, but the whole page is sort of claustrophobic.  That's the best way I can say it, claustrophobic.

EDIT #2:  Spent another 10 minutes.  Honestly, I think you're trying too hard.  There's just too much going on here, and it isn't cohesive.  Also, re: your earlier post on this thread, I am calling flame on your supposed waitlist at Mich.  Am skeptical that someone, even with an alumnus father, even with financial considerations, even with a great reason to be in a particular city, can get as far as a waitlist at a solid T14 and then somehow wind up in the third tier.  You will have a hard time convincing me that adds up.  Which I think is part of my overall criticism of your blog; it just seems like you're trying to be something that doesn't come naturally.

Anyway, good luck to you.  Hope the book goes off well; please don't post about it at LSD too much?

Fair enough.  My mom was complaining about the right-hand column too...
Ummm..first of all, DePaul is not tier three.  Next, yeah, everything is true.  I got into a lot of schools in the middle...just none that offered me the moeny that DePaul did.