Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why I Didn't Take An LSAT Review Course  (Read 2832 times)

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
Why I Didn't Take An LSAT Review Course
« on: October 18, 2007, 02:35:59 PM »
David Sedaris once wrote, “The truly crazy are labeled so on the grounds that they see nothing wrong with their behavior.”  Similarly, bad test takers don’t grasp how bad they are at taking tests until they get their grades back. If they knew how poorly they were going to do, they would study harder. That’s the best way I can explain my decision not to take any LSAT review courses.

I might justify my decision by saying 1) I did well on the SAT, 2) the LSAT is just one letter away, 3) my ex-workout buddy, who got into a prestigious California law school—a prestigious ABA-accredited California law school—told me that the LSAT and SAT are “pretty much the same test,” and 4) I believed him.

Unfortunately, in making my decision I failed to consider that 1) my parents forced me take a Princeton Review course before the SAT, 2) the course greatly improved my SAT score, and 3) the reason I stopped working out with my ex-workout buddy was that I couldn’t tolerate his habitual lying.

Cheers,
-RickLax

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
Re: Why I Didn't Take An LSAT Review Course
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »
David Sedaris once wrote, “The truly crazy are labeled so on the grounds that they see nothing wrong with their behavior.”  Similarly, bad test takers don’t grasp how bad they are at taking tests until they get their grades back. If they knew how poorly they were going to do, they would study harder. That’s the best way I can explain my decision not to take any LSAT review courses.

I might justify my decision by saying 1) I did well on the SAT, 2) the LSAT is just one letter away, 3) my ex-workout buddy, who got into a prestigious California law school—a prestigious ABA-accredited California law school—told me that the LSAT and SAT are “pretty much the same test,” and 4) I believed him.

Unfortunately, in making my decision I failed to consider that 1) my parents forced me take a Princeton Review course before the SAT, 2) the course greatly improved my SAT score, and 3) the reason I stopped working out with my ex-workout buddy was that I couldn’t tolerate his habitual lying.

Cheers,
Learn more on my blog: LawSchoolBlogger

if you have to clarify that it is in face ABA-accredited...it's probably not prestigious. and are there really any non-ABA-accredited prestigious law schools?

Good point.  I was trying to make a joke there...but I forgot to itallicize the "ABA-accredited" that came after the word "prestigious," thus killing the joke. 

Way to be on the linguistic ball, though.

H.E. Pennypacker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 04:04:02 PM »
This thread blows.

Pretentious Undergrad

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pip pip, children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 05:03:33 PM »
yeah... that's what killed the joke...

Socrates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:13:07 PM »
These blog plugs suck. You said nothing insightful and use Wordpress to boot.

chifunkera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 05:19:10 PM »
who would take a text this important and this expensive without bothering to find out what was on the test

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 12:04:56 AM »
who would take a text this important and this expensive without bothering to find out what was on the test

I did find out.  I studied hard...just not with a class.  But like I said, not taking a class was probably a mistake. No disagreements here...

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »
This thread blows.

Not a fan of linguistic analysis?  You might not like law school...

RickLax.com

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolBlogger.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »

Cheers,

if you have to clarify that it is in face ABA-accredited...it's probably not prestigious. and are there really any non-ABA-accredited prestigious law schools?

Hmm..maybe not...my question would be, what is the MOST prestigious non-accredited school?  Like...is there one that's famous for being reputable?

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 12:54:50 AM »

Cheers,

Hmm..maybe not...my question would be, what is the MOST prestigious non-accredited school?  Like...is there one that's famous for being reputable?

Whenever I read one of your posts or go to your website, I see the title of your writing and think to myself "what a great subject to write about." Then I open up the thread and am severely disappointed. This thread is a case in point.
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!