Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: study abroad  (Read 887 times)

litr123

• View Profile
    • Email
study abroad
« on: March 15, 2004, 02:36:37 PM »
 Does anyone know anything about study abroad in ls? What effects on work opportunities, etc. can studying abroad for a semester or year have? general pros/cons? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: study abroad
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 04:12:32 PM »
There was a thread about this a few months ago:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,561.0

litr123

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 04:37:28 PM »
Thank you so much for the link.  I did study abroad, though, and so would not be doing it for the "experience" factor.  I'm interested in working in Europe after law school, and I guess I'm just wondering what the benefits/drawbacks of doing a year abroad would be.  Are you planning on working in the US?  Are you 'specializing' (I know, it's a somewhat dirty word) in internationl law?  I'd really appreciate any further insight, especially from someone who knows from firsthand experience like yourself.
thanks again! 

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 04:57:25 PM »
I've studied abroad before too - but it doesn't mean it's not a valuable experience this time around...

In terms of legal education, I'm actually not all that interested in international law as a practice area - though a lot of people here are.  I thought it would be a good academic experience (the comparative aspect) and that I would learn some things about the EU for transactional work back in the states (so many international deals these days).  If you really want to work in Europe you'd probably be better off getting a law degree here instead of in the US.  It's nearly impossible to earn a European lawyer's salary while paying off a US law school debt.  There are a few firms that specialize in international finance and similar practices that pay US style salaries, but those jobs are pretty tough to get.

litr123

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 05:08:38 PM »
Well, if I do the abroad thing it would be at a school where I have a free ride/stipend, so I'm not worried about debt.  If I don't go there I won't go abroad and probably wouldn't try to either. I've never really been the make-big-bucks type and don't really think I'd ever need a huge salary to be happy...but I don't want to have to pay off debt on a shoestring budget like you said, either.  also, I don't really want to have to not be in the US, which is why I'm going to get the degree here.

Are there not American firms that have offices abroad?  Or what about work with human rights and stuff.  I'll admit I'm very naive about law school, which is why I like to ask questions of you wise ones, but I thought there were many opportunites to work outside of the US with a JD...??