Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who the hell scores 140 and below?  (Read 3164 times)

BAFF213

Re: Who the hell scores 140 and below?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2004, 07:36:44 PM »

That is the kind of unhelpful bull that you will hear from your average Kaplan instructor.  Did she give you any insight, or just this nonsense that I had to deal with too?

Actually, she wasn't an instructor, though I do agree with you that the instructors are (generally) not that great.  Kaplan did kind of suck.  The best part was that I got to use their test center (good place to study).  Worth the $1000?  Not sure.

I did happen to run into a Kaplan instructor right before I took the test this morning, however; and she did give some pretty senseless advice.  She happened to be the instructor that I took the course with, and the advice she gave today was about as helpful as the instruction she gave a few months ago (that is, it wasn't very helpful).

vegemitemama

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2004, 09:25:42 PM »
Baff,
I took that same preptest today and was sure I bombed the games section, too (You have no idea how much better I feel knowing that someone else did as well). I was for sure I had blown the whole thing because of it, and ended up with a 159. Haha, I even guessed D, and there was only 1 D in the whole game that I guessed on. Funny  :D
Anyway, I agree that the best thing about Kaplan is the place to study. I don't know that I've got all that much out of their instruction, but I think I would have paid the $1000 anyway just for the quiet place to study, and all the tests and explanations.

Baff: Why aren't your scores moving?

:(

Matt

Score 159-165, im rooting for you.

I dunno man.  I think it really just has to do with randomness.  Yesterday, I took Preptest 40 and I found that the games section was EXTREMELY easy.  I got a 78% (5 wrong), and while this is not a big deal to most people, this was by far the best I had ever done on games.  As a result, I got a 159.  On the other hand, I took Preptest 36 this morning (at Kaplan) and scored a 155.  This was mostly due to the fact that I completely bombed the games section (43%).  I found the games section to be really hard on the test this morning (may have just been burnt out from yesterdays test though) and I obviously struggled with it.  I got a 71% on LR and a 73% on RC this morning, which was pretty good (I typically score between 70 and 80% on LR, 60-70% on RC, and 50-60% on LG).  The girl working at Kaplan this morning noticed that about 2/3 of my LG this morning were "D's" and she mentioned that she was actually astonished/impressed by the fact that I got a 155 with that many "D's" bubbled in - ha.

As far as the "rooting" for me, thanks a lot - I appreciate it.  I have been studying my ass off (at least ^I^ think I have) and I honestly can't wait for this to be over with.  Less than one week now.  The only thing I can hope for I guess is an easy games section and also some easy RC passages.  Oh and btw, I'm taking two more preptests (June 2004 on Tuesday and Dec 2002 on Thursday).  Don't worry, I am taking Friday off.  I realize you didn't ask for a long-winded response but you got it anyway.

Silversoma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me at Radiohead- Thunderbird Stadium, August/03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 09:35:01 PM »
Yeah, I think you guys with Kaplan got taken for your money.

I didn't take a course, I just bought 30+ preptests and did about 2/3rds of them.  Explanations?  I found that I could eventually explain every question to myself.  Quiet place to study?  The library on campus worked for me.  They have study carrels on every floor, and every even-numbered floor is designated a "quiet study" area.  They even have a direct phone line to security, with this cute sign that states:

"To report noise, or any other security concerns, use this phone to call security"

Heh, or you could jump up and down and scream "SHUT THE @#!* UP, mofo" at anyone making noise, whatever works...
Practice LSATs so far: 156 155 157 155 157 161 162 161 155 155 160 164 166 161 170 166 168 160 163 162 172

LSAT's finished... I don't have to think about law school for a year now.
********* GO Team Canada GO!!!!! ***********

superiorlobe

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2004, 09:38:01 PM »
Sometimes I think I have bombed a games section when one game completely flummoxes me.  Usually I just give up after a couple questions when I realize I am getting nowhere.  I really hate it. Seeing one game that I can't figure out at all is what I would consider a pretty bad scenario.

BUT

I might find that I did two questions on that game, got them right, guessed 'D' on the other four questions in that game.  Got one of those right by luck, and end up missing only three questions for the whole section because I had aced the other three games.   I could get a 176 with that kind of games section.  So even if I feel really bad about a games section I hesitate to write of the whole test.

BAFF213

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2004, 10:31:09 PM »
I agree.  Kaplan is a really nice place to study.  I hate going to the library at my school and I never go.  Kaplan's cool because I can bring my food and put it in the fridge and stuff.  Plus the parking is immediately outside of the center which is really good.  The instruction was not really that great, so if I end up with a good score, I wouldn't be like THANK YOU KAPLAN.  The good score would be due to my hard work, not their instruction.

Baff,
I took that same preptest today and was sure I bombed the games section, too (You have no idea how much better I feel knowing that someone else did as well). I was for sure I had blown the whole thing because of it, and ended up with a 159. Haha, I even guessed D, and there was only 1 D in the whole game that I guessed on. Funny  :D
Anyway, I agree that the best thing about Kaplan is the place to study. I don't know that I've got all that much out of their instruction, but I think I would have paid the $1000 anyway just for the quiet place to study, and all the tests and explanations.

Matt

I dunno man.  I think it really just has to do with randomness.  Yesterday, I took Preptest 40 and I found that the games section was EXTREMELY easy.  I got a 78% (5 wrong), and while this is not a big deal to most people, this was by far the best I had ever done on games.  As a result, I got a 159.  On the other hand, I took Preptest 36 this morning (at Kaplan) and scored a 155.  This was mostly due to the fact that I completely bombed the games section (43%).  I found the games section to be really hard on the test this morning (may have just been burnt out from yesterdays test though) and I obviously struggled with it.  I got a 71% on LR and a 73% on RC this morning, which was pretty good (I typically score between 70 and 80% on LR, 60-70% on RC, and 50-60% on LG).  The girl working at Kaplan this morning noticed that about 2/3 of my LG this morning were "D's" and she mentioned that she was actually astonished/impressed by the fact that I got a 155 with that many "D's" bubbled in - ha.

As far as the "rooting" for me, thanks a lot - I appreciate it.  I have been studying my ass off (at least ^I^ think I have) and I honestly can't wait for this to be over with.  Less than one week now.  The only thing I can hope for I guess is an easy games section and also some easy RC passages.  Oh and btw, I'm taking two more preptests (June 2004 on Tuesday and Dec 2002 on Thursday).  Don't worry, I am taking Friday off.  I realize you didn't ask for a long-winded response but you got it anyway.

BAFF213

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2004, 10:37:33 PM »
Try test 40 - the games were a joke.

Baff,

Matt

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2004, 01:57:09 AM »
I feel like Kaplan helped with the answer explanations and for the questions separated by type.  It also probably goaded me to begin studying earlier than I would have otherwise.  I won't attempt to guess what my score would have been had I not taken the course, but I am satisfied with the process and result.

Rizz98

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.91/165
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rizz98
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2004, 11:31:22 AM »
I know who these people are. They're ambulance chasers, they work for 1-800-LAWYER or Jim "The Hammer" Shapiro. You can find them by dialing 1-800 followed by some random law term, or by watching the commercials during soap operas or the price is right.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2004, 11:59:01 AM »
I know who these people are. They're ambulance chasers, they work for 1-800-LAWYER or Jim "The Hammer" Shapiro. You can find them by dialing 1-800 followed by some random law term, or by watching the commercials during soap operas or the price is right.

We may laugh, but we need these people too.  When someone is seriously hurt, no amount of money will help them fell good again, but some money may, nevertheless, help a little.
No longer here.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2004, 02:17:34 PM »
Any commercial beginning with "Have you been injured?"