Law School Discussion

Admissions Consulting?

Pam Beesly

• Oh, Jim.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Admissions Consulting?
« on: October 16, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
Has anyone worked with an Admissions Consultant? How do you feel about that? I'm not sure that they're worth the money, but they're supposed to know the ins and outs of the whole admissions process. Are we better off just sticking to this board? I'm interested to hear what other people think. I hope everyone's applications are going well!

Re: Admissions Consulting?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:19:24 PM »
It probably depends on the consultant, his/her contacts and experience. There are also many levels of consulting. My sense is costwise it runs the gamut between free and small house.

If you want some advice it seems you could get a pretty good for cost of time only, via career center etc.

If a boutique service with contacts at T14 admissions office will be the difference between yes and no, in the long term 100K feasibly pays for itself.

Re: Admissions Consulting?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:35:45 AM »
Please save your money. Seriously. I paid hundreds of dollars for a consultant and it was a waste. What I received from the consultant was actually worse than the draft I submitted. I ended up keeping my original and asking several people, including LSDers, my recommenders, a former professor and a few English major friends to read my PS. The feedback that I received from those people was worth more than anything the AC did.

If you do hire one, I would be VERY selective and careful.