Law School Discussion

Cooley, Detroit Mercy or Wayne State...

Re: Cooley, Detroit Mercy or Wayne State...
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2007, 07:27:49 PM »
Anyone who puts a T14 school in a similar light as a T4 in terms of job prospects is an idiot.

Anyone who read what I wrote as saying that is an idiot.

You said, "There are at least as many Wayne State grads at the top Michigan firms as there are Michigan grads, and most of them will tell you that you are an idiot for paying twice as much tuition to get the same job." Seems to imply that someone would be an "idiot" to take UM over Wayne (because of price) because both lead to the "same jobs." I guess this does directly contradict what you say a couple of sentences later regarding only the top percentages at Wayne being on equal footing as UM grads. So, which is it?

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2007, 07:41:24 PM »
Man, just reread my post. I'm a prick. My bad. Seriously.

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »
Anyone who puts a T14 school in a similar light as a T4 in terms of job prospects is an idiot.

Anyone who read what I wrote as saying that is an idiot.

You said, "There are at least as many Wayne State grads at the top Michigan firms as there are Michigan grads, and most of them will tell you that you are an idiot for paying twice as much tuition to get the same job." Seems to imply that someone would be an "idiot" to take UM over Wayne (because of price) because both lead to the "same jobs." I guess this does directly contradict what you say a couple of sentences later regarding only the top percentages at Wayne being on equal footing as UM grads. So, which is it?

Well, the Wayne grads would presumably have been near the top of their classes since they have jobs there (and judging from their profiles most graduated with honors), so I don't see the contradiction.  And those were their opinions, not mine.  And I was a bit short in my estimation.  I already listed the numbers in my office.  In the downtown office there are 22% from Michigan and 19% from Wayne, but 34% from Wayne, UDM, and DCL/MSU combined.  There is a slightly higher percentage of t-14 lawyers in the downtown office. 

« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »
What difference does it make where the advice giving Wayne grads fall in the class? You first talk about lawyers from Wayne and UM telling FUTURE law students (don't know where they're going to fall in the class yet) to take Wayne over UM because the tuition is cheaper and they will get the same jobs. These future law students don't have rankings yet.

You then say that one has to be in the top 20% at Wayne to get these jobs. So that would mean the lawyers would be telling the future law students, "you should take Wayne over UM because of the tuition, but you're going to have to be in the top 20% at Wayne to get the same job as any UM grad can get." Nobody would give this advice, and it's contradictory to what you first said as CLEARLY all the future Wayne grads and all the future UM grads will not get the "same jobs." Why would somebody tell someone that they should take a chance at a school where they only have a 20% chance of being in a postion where they could get a job at this firm.

Simply put, knowing that any UM grad can get a job at this firm and that only 20% of Wayne grads can get the same job, why would a lawyer say that a future law student should pick Wayne because this future law student will get the same job?

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2007, 08:48:32 PM »
What difference does it make where the advice giving Wayne grads fall in the class? You first talk about lawyers from Wayne and UM telling FUTURE law students (don't know where they're going to fall in the class yet) to take Wayne over UM because the tuition is cheaper and they will get the same jobs. These future law students don't have rankings yet.

You then say that one has to be in the top 20% at Wayne to get these jobs. So that would mean the lawyers would be telling the future law students, "you should take Wayne over UM because of the tuition, but you're going to have to be in the top 20% at Wayne to get the same job as any UM grad can get." Nobody would give this advice, and it's contradictory to what you first said as CLEARLY all the future Wayne grads and all the future UM grads will not get the "same jobs." Why would somebody tell someone that they should take a chance at a school where they only have a 20% chance of being in a postion where they could get a job at this firm.

Simply put, knowing that any UM grad can get a job at this firm and that only 20% of Wayne grads can get the same job, why would a lawyer say that a future law student should pick Wayne because this future law student will get the same job?

You really can't answer your own question?  First, the Wayne grads weren't telling future students, they were telling one student.  And that future student is known to them, and they are making a relatively calculated assumption that the prospective student will be at the top of the class, since his numbers are above both 75th percentiles at Michigan.  Perhaps it is not a safe assumption, but it was their assumptions, not mine. 

And yes, they are saying that I would have to be in the top 20%, and they are saying that I should still do it because, again, they are assuming that I WOULD be in the top 20%.  I wouldn't only have a 20% chance of being in the top 20%, because I am not on an equal footing with all the potential students who would be in my class if I chose to go to one of those schools.  Yes, of course, making assumptions about where you would place in a class--even at a school where you would presumably be at the higher end of the GPA and LSAT percentiles--is not very safe, which is why I would certainly never make that choice (unless, of course, I had an over-riding financial reason to do so). 

Simply put, they are assuming that I am smart enough to excel at any Tier 3-4 school (or at a T-1, for that matter). 

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2007, 08:05:02 AM »
i agree...T4 schools suck.

you should know.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2007, 08:06:50 AM »
Yeah, I understood Ender's point pretty clearly. This thread is cursed or something, it only seems to get worse.

presence of republicans cause this.

« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »

presence of republicans cause this.
[/quote]

A presence of Republicans also caused my taxes to be cut. Unfortunately, a presence of Democrats will probably raise them.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2007, 02:04:10 PM »
you strike julie as tax cheat anyway.

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2007, 01:38:48 PM »
You strike the Judge as an idiot who can't write a coherent sentence.

The next time you appear in my courtroom, you will speak lawyerly.