Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley, Detroit Mercy or Wayne State...  (Read 7377 times)

Judge Haller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cooley, Detroit Mercy or Wayne State...
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »
You strike the Judge as an idiot who can't write a coherent sentence.

The next time you appear in my courtroom, you will speak lawyerly.
WVU Class of 2011

Julee Fern

• Sr. Citizen
  • be cheerleader for al qaeda and osama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2007, 05:22:47 PM »

*lol*

Judge smart! :)
goooooo al qaeda!  gooooooo bin laden!  go, go, osama bin laden!

never mind all people you killing senselessly--that just more that silly conservative thinking.  what important is scooter libby and cheney's former employers.  beeeeeeee substantive!

AkhilAmar

• Sr. Citizen
  • Need lots of good karma!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2007, 09:38:01 PM »

I agree with the former UDM 1L.

I live in Michigan and while Wayne has a solid regional reputation (due to influential alumi in the surrouding areas) that doesn't translate into good or even mediocre career prospects. No matter how good the local reputation of Wayne, the south-east Michigan legal market can only absorb so many new associates; 60% nine months out speaks for itself.
UGPA: 3.8

LSAT: Dec. '07

Dream school: Michigan!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2007, 02:44:20 AM »
A thousand pardons, I didn't mean to offend you teh Julie Fern.  I mistakenly thought that this was blatant flame.  Seriously, who the hell asks whether or not any of these schools are good?  If someone is at the point where these are their only options, at best their only job prospects after graduating will be in small HAVEYOUBEENINJUREDINANACCIDEN TLAW. Save your money and work as a paralegal (if you MUST work in a legal profession), at least then you won't be mired in a heap of debt that you won't be able to pay off.

Obviously you don't know a thing about the Detroit market.   There are at least as many Wayne State grads at the top Michigan firms as there are Michigan grads, and most of them will tell you that you are an idiot for paying twice as much tuition to get the same job.  The hiring partners I have spoken to always say to go to the best school you can get into (which means pay the money and go to Michigan if you can), but the top 10-20% at any of those schools will be making the same as any Michigan grad.   All three are good schools, especially if you are staying in Michigan.  Wayne State is the best after Michigan, but Michigan State is rising.  UD Mercy is a good school, but it clearly trailing the other two. 

While I've already defended Wayne's local rep, I believe the bold section is simply incorrect.  I don't see the top 20% at all schools making $160K+ starting out.  I do think the top 10% at all 3 will probably be fine (if we're not talking about Cooley), and the top 15% at Wayne will probably place comparably to the average Michigan student.  But even many of the top 20% at UD/MSU will likely have to work a bit to find good jobs.  And when they do, they're more likely to pay in the $50K-$100K range, not the $140K+ range. 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2007, 03:32:50 PM »

ever hear about contempt of court, you numbnuts?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2007, 03:26:35 AM »

ever hear about contempt of court, you numbnuts?

Most useless avatar on the board.   ::)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2007, 11:14:52 AM »
you useless as unmentionables on boy.

WSUAlum1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2008, 06:31:05 PM »
Unfortunately, the problems at Wayne go far beyond Dean Wu.  (I hope his replacement is good, but I know he's a 2d choice--their 1st choice turned them down)  Six faculty members left this year or are leaving at the end (including two of the school's best teachers)--they will be lucky to replace 2 of those 6, because good young profs don't want to go there.  There are only 1 1/2 clinical profs for the whole school.  The school fell into the 4th tier last year.  It has returned to T3, but it is now well behind MSU, and is unlikely to catch up. Much as I hate to say it, Wayne is now the #3 school in MI.  The real problem here is that Wayne's program is far out of date.  Law firms want to hire lawyers who are ready to practice "out of the box."  They don't want to spend years training lawyers who come from schools that stress theory to the exclusion of practice.  MSU has gotten with that program (and UDM has done so with a vengeance!  Go to their website and read the story the Wall Street Journal did on them).  Wayne's legal writing program is ten years out of date, and there are not enough clinical/pretrial ad courses for everyone, or even for most students.  Its profs have heavy publishing obligations.  They are very bright (and some of them are quick to let you know it), but their obscure law review articles don't help you practice law.

Over many years, Wayne was the unquestioned #2 school in MI.  Also--its tuition used to be 1/2 of the other schools.  It was a great bargain, and it has many proud and successful alums, which will help you in future job searches.  But it is now #3 in US News, and won't catch MSU.  The dynamics are against the school.

Last point: if you tell MSU and UDM that you are serious about WSU, they'll usually give you $ to make up the tuition difference.  Then make your choice on the merits.

Truly last point, as many posters have noted: the customer service at UDM/MSU is much better.  Wayne's people in admissions, etc are fine, but they are grossly understaffed and have been for years.  It will not change

Dr_Nex

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2008, 11:58:19 AM »