Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: should I postpone? Are the preptests indicative?  (Read 779 times)

MichelleD

• View Profile
should I postpone? Are the preptests indicative?
« on: September 25, 2004, 09:50:31 PM »
Hey everyone,

So I've been studying for the last 3 months now, put in at least 100 hours, and while I was scoring in the high 140's before, I'm now scoring in the high 150's.  I really want a 160 though.  Should I postpone (I'm taking the test in October)?  Is this as high as I'll go?  How indicative are the preptests? (I'm assuming pretty indicative).  Any more tips in for this next week?

qtip2012

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT: 162 UGPA: 3.06
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: should I postpone? Are the preptests indicative?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 09:58:18 PM »
Hey,

I'm in a similar situation.  Firstly, the deadline to postpone has past, just so you know.  Second off, how are you FEELING about the tests?  Has there been an upward trend?  Are you getting about the same number wrong in each section each test, or is it sporadic/random?  If you are poor at a particular question, are you working to improve it?  Is that resulting better scores?

I would think about these questions.

I was scoring all over the place between 160-165 about two/three weeks ago.  That range was due SOLEY (basically) to my results on the games.  I got 18 right on the 165 --actually did badly on the rest of the exam-- and 10 in the games when i got the 160 -- that time i got more right on the other three sections than when i got the 165...one section can kill you.

Anyways, in the last two weeks, all I've done is games.  I've seen improvement and am keeping a positive attitude.  I'm sticking with the Oct. test and if I know I bomb the games section then I will cancel.

Sorry that I just ranted about MY situation.  Anyways though, if your situation is similar  that is what I have decided to do.  Either way, goodluck!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=MrGrieves

Heaven: Northeastern (w/ $8500), Brooklyn, Roger Williams (w/ $20000), St. John's (w/ 12500), Hofstra (w/ $16000), Case Western (w/ $9000), American
Hell: BU
Purgatory: UConn, Cardozo

Applied: Temple

AaronJ

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 10:13:39 PM »
Actually the date to change has not passed.  You have until October 4th by phone or fax I believe it is.

AaronJ

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 11:06:16 PM »
The last two paragraphs are wise qtip and that is the same advice I give.  I am in that boat myself and if it aint there I aint keeping it.

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 12:51:06 AM »
Preptests are very good predictors generally as long as taken under strict time limits and without extra breaks, but most people seem to score a bit lower on test day than on their best practice tests.  Of course factors such as lack of sleep, nervousness, adrenaline and filling the ovals grid can cause unexpected problems on the real thing. 

Given that your recent scores are fairly consistent, I would average your last several practice tests and subtract a point or two, and then put a +/- 3 point range.  This if your practice average was 166 you would expect a score somewhere in the range of 162 - 168.  LSAT miracles do happen, but they are probably very rare.

Good luck

magicmatttt

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - magicmatttt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 02:52:54 AM »
actually she/he can skip the test, so there really is no deadline to postpone by.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 02:54:11 AM »
Actually the date to change has not passed.  You have until October 4th by phone or fax I believe it is.

Nice to know.

I'm probably gonna postpone as well.....

no where near ready.

M2

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 02:54:44 AM »
Hey everyone,

So I've been studying for the last 3 months now, put in at least 100 hours, and while I was scoring in the high 140's before, I'm now scoring in the high 150's.  I really want a 160 though.  Should I postpone (I'm taking the test in October)?  Is this as high as I'll go?  How indicative are the preptests? (I'm assuming pretty indicative).  Any more tips in for this next week?

If you think postponing will allow you to score in the 160s then by all means go for it...
There are many more opportunities for those in the 160s

Silversoma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me at Radiohead- Thunderbird Stadium, August/03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 08:28:42 PM »
I was going to write in June, but I postponed until October, and I am soo glad I did.

About a week before June 14th, even though I had been studying for 2 months, I had only written 10 full-length prep tests, and the last 2 that I wrote were 155's.  I really want to score a 160+, and I felt so stressed by my recent scores, that I decided that postponing for a few months would give me the chance to gain the confidence I needed to do better.

Now, I've written 21 preptests, bought and studied the PSLGB, and have had much better scores on the most recent tests (from #30 onwards).  Though I may have still done okay back in June, now I feel like there is no way that I will score below 160, which was my goal.  I'm not even stressed about saturday, I'm moreso anxious to get the LSAT over with so that I can concentrate on my current coursework, and hopefully pull off straight A's this semester.

If you think that you will be more confident by taking more practice tests and refining your strategy, definitely postpone.
Practice LSATs so far: 156 155 157 155 157 161 162 161 155 155 160 164 166 161 170 166 168 160 163 162 172

LSAT's finished... I don't have to think about law school for a year now.
********* GO Team Canada GO!!!!! ***********