Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions about UNLV? I have answers.  (Read 2809 times)

twh2008

• View Profile
Re: Questions about UNLV? I have answers.
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 07:50:36 PM »
haha, yea I know where my numbers fall, thanks for pointing out HOW LOW it is though.

It may shed some light on the situation to call attention to the other things that helped out my overall package. I had five 3-6 month internships with legislators at district, sacramento capitol, and d.c. offices. Had letters of rec from a senator, congressman, president of my university, and the pre-law advisor at my campus.

As far as my lsat, what can i say, it stunk, haha but took the lsat the day before leaving for d.c. for 6 months. My only point is that, contrary to everything you've heard, the LSAT isn't EVERYTHING, especially at a great school like UNLV where they really make an effort to look at your entire app.

W/regards to bar, I am aware what ABA means, I think this is something different. Will let you know if I figure it out. Maybe having to do with the MBE, they way I understood it, it meant that if you were a UNLV grad your ONE bar exam would allow you to practice in ca, nv, ut, az. Ucla has something similiar for ca, ny, nv and USD for ca, nv, az, ny, md
woohoo: unlv (half ride)
limbo:
tear:
did the mail come yet?: Stanford, UCLA, Pepperdine, USD, Santa Clara, Chapman, ASU

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »
Sorry not meaning to imply that you shouldn't be at UNLV or anything, just surprised.

The NV Bar does not have reciprocity with any other jurisdictions. I did a quick check and UT and AZ do not offer reciprocity for NV bar members

http://www.utahbar.org/admissions/reciprocity_jurisdiction_table.html
http://www.supreme.state.az.us/admis/

If I were to take a guess, I would say it is a recruiting tactic. I remember when I went to admitted students day they bragged about being able to take the bar anywhere in the US with a UNLV degree. This was in response to someone asking if UNLV students can get jobs outside of NV. Typically spin.

At any rate, I'd be interested in understanding what they mean as well.

MikeBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 10:49:15 PM »
Thanks for the information. I have another question if you don't mind, what is the commute like going to UNLV if you want to live in apartments in a nice area? Thanks.

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »
Traffic is really bad these days so 30 minutes if your commute is during rush hour. Otherwise like 20 minutes.

MikeBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 01:20:36 AM »
Eh, that's not too bad. Hows the midtown project coming along? Is it facing bureaucratic tie-ups? Or is the community really in support of the urban revitalization project?

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 11:40:44 AM »
It's gone nowhere AFAIK. No one in Vegas really cares about that stuff. There is also a downtown revitalization project that is similarly situated.

rebelfan286

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 02:40:30 PM »
Most of us who live in Vegas do everything we can to stay away from the strip.  Sometimes it takes me an hour to get home from UNLV depending on traffic.  15 minutes max if there is none.

oh noez

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 07:45:58 PM »
I know this thread hasn't been active in awhile, but I have some questions about UNLV.
I was on the waitlist, but was informed on Thursday that they'd like to admit me to the part-time evening division unless a full-time or part-time day spot opens up. I have $$ at Gonzaga and had planned on going there, but now I'm not so sure.  ??? 

Is anyone able to give me more info about the evening program? I'm wondering about quality of faculty/classes and if it will significantly impact my abilities to participate in stuff like law review since you need a certain number of classes to be accepted onto law review/journals. I'm also looking for general info that I can't find on the website--are the students in the evening division typically older? Do they have the same job prospects? If nobody has answers to these questions, I understand. Just curious if anyone has some info.

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »
I'm wondering about quality of faculty/classes and if it will significantly impact my abilities to participate in stuff like law review since you need a certain number of classes to be accepted onto law review/journals.

>> You can fully participate in LR and SOA as a part-time student. The only complaint I've heard (from a part-time student on here) is that there are not as many electives available in the evening.

I'm also looking for general info that I can't find on the website--are the students in the evening division typically older?

>> Yes

Do they have the same job prospects?

>> Yes, understanding that the job prospects in general are not really great.