Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions about UNLV? I have answers.  (Read 2858 times)

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Questions about UNLV? I have answers.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »
I am very interested in UNLV. In fact I met Mrs. Lyons at a law fair yesterday. Can you tell me anything about there spots/entertainment law program?

What entertainment and sports law program? There is an entertainment law class and a student organization but that's about it. There is a sports management department in another college but it's totally unrelated to the law school. At any rate, no matter what school you go to it is a very limited field.

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
How are the admission chances for an out-of-state student?
How affordable is the cost of living in the area around the school?

Out-of-state is very tough as the school has a mandate to be something like 75% in-state. So, for a class of 100, that means 25 out-of-staters.

COL around the school is pretty cheap, around $650 for a 1-bedroom. That having been said, the area is not the greatest and not many people live around there. It is a commuter campus so most people go to class then get into their car and drive to the 'burbs.

75% ouch, that is disappointing for this out-of-stater.
Thanks for your answers.

I would think if you were in the 160 range or above, you'd be competitive coming from out-of-state.

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 04:13:21 PM »
Forgot to mention that UNLV seems to like to reward splitters. They can get plenty of in-state people with good GPAs so they tend to focus on LSAT for out-of-staters since the average in-state LSAT is pretty low. Of course if you are instate with a good GPA and LSAT you are gold.

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:46:35 AM »
bump

MikeBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
What do you think about a 157 lsat score for an out of stater

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »
Depends on your GPA but in general I think it'd be tough since like 80% of the class has to come from in-state and Nevada applicants are generally not that strong. So they make up for that by giving lots of money to relatively high performing out-of-state candidates.

MikeBZ

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »
Depends on your GPA but in general I think it'd be tough since like 80% of the class has to come from in-state and Nevada applicants are generally not that strong. So they make up for that by giving lots of money to relatively high performing out-of-state candidates.

Well my GPA overall is around a 3.3, but that's because my freshmen semester I did really bad. My gpa after that was a 3.5 my freshmen and sophomore year and 3.98 my junior and senior year....so I dunno.

UNLV seems like a great school though, I like how it's the only law school in the state and its dispute resolution program  seems to be top notch. 

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 02:20:44 AM »
I think you are borderline. They take lots of instaters with high gpas/low lsats and have to make up for that with the out of staters.

Be warned, also, that Vegas has recently become much more viable for graduates of higher ranked schools. This was historically not the case and is what led to the formation of the school. So, the market is not as rosy as the school would make it sound. You really need to be top 10-15% to get Vegas "big" law and even then some of those people are working in smaller firms. And dispute resolution is cool and all but it doesn't get you jobs.

twh2008

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 03:07:20 PM »
Out-of-stater in at UNLV with 50% scholarship. Just some hope for Mary. My numbers weren't stellar but I had some really great intern experiences and letters of rec. GPA: 3.8 LSAT: 153

I did have a question for Vegasdood if he wouldn't mind. I heard something about how unlv is bar exam applicable in nv, az, ca, ut... what does this mean?
woohoo: unlv (half ride)
limbo:
tear:
did the mail come yet?: Stanford, UCLA, Pepperdine, USD, Santa Clara, Chapman, ASU

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »
153? Wow, that's below the 25th percentile!

Not really sure what "bar exam applicable means". As an accredited school, you are eligible to take the bar in any state.