Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: REASONS TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL?  (Read 3162 times)

gymnm77

• View Profile
    • Email
REASONS TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL?
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:00:34 AM »
I am anticipating applying to law schools in the near future in the DC metro area as a non-traditional student (PT evening programs).    I have some work experience although am still somewhat young (30 yrs old).  Served in the military 5 years, worked on a two degress (BS and MBA) while working full-time.  When the question arises 'Why am I considering law school?', I am stumped.  My reasons for going because of the challenge, it is a great career move for someone interested in contract law, and will increase my opportunities in the future.  I have read many personal statements and many of them are from younger students with very limited work experience who often want to become lawyers to 'make a difference' and address social injustices.  In short, I would like to gain some insight from other non-traditional students as to your own personal reasons for going to law school?     

cfplaw

• View Profile
Re: REASONS TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:38:09 AM »
How about...

Many people in my situation want to go to law school as a career change or to do something different.  I am really interested in taking my career to the next level and being able to practice contract law.  I don't necessarily view law school as a career change, but rather a career enhancement.  If I hadn't done my other degrees and didn't have my work experience, I probably wouldn't want to go into law.  It is everything in my past that led me to this point. 

I'm saying something like that...

azoraraine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 04:27:24 PM »
If you're worried about having to justify your decision to go to law school in your PS, my sense is that's not an issue as long as you have the GPA and LSAT needed for the school(s) to which you're applying.

It's an interesting, well-paying career - doesn't take a lot of explanation as to why it might be attractive to you.  You've already worked in business - it's not like you're in your 7th year of a History PhD program, lol (no offense to anyone, but there are cases where one might have to explain one's sudden interest).

S

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 11:24:48 PM »
It's an interesting, well-paying career

Footnote to that remark... it's only definitely a well-paying career if you graduate from a top school and/or near the top of your class. With a bit of military background, an MBA and a full-time position, going to law school may NOT be a money-making move for the original poster.
Now, to the OP...
Before you commit the time and money towards getting into/attending law school, make sure that you know why you want to be there. Not necessarily what field you want to practice in, but have a real solid grasp on why you want to attend. That grasp will be severely tested during your first year when you see the amount of work and the grades that people get. Stupidly obvious point here, but half of the people that would be in your class are just as intelligent, qualified and determined as you are, but are going to wind up in the bottom half of the class. Should you wind up on the wrong side of that coin flip, you'll find yourself asking all sorts of questions like... "Is this the right school for me?" "Maybe law school isn't for me?" "Why didn't I just go for a master's degree... this socratic stuff isn't working for me". The answer to the question "Why do you want to go to law school" is the only thing that counterbalances those questions...
Good luck in finding that answer,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

66scorer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:40:08 PM »
I am 40 and applying for a dual doctorate in law and higher education leadership.  Currently I am a high school principal and my work in k-12 education has aroused my interest in law as a means to A) Gain a position at a college or university to teach the future educational leaders and B) consult the department of education on policy.

For me, it feels like a natural (and sooooper interesting) extension of my career.

Hope that helps!
February '05 LSAT - 157
UGPA 3.11

"Why are we violent but not illiterate?
Because we are taught to read."
Colman McCarthy

terranullius

• "A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire
    • View Profile
    • terra nullius
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »
Of course younger students without a lot of work experience who are fresh out of undergrad want to change the world. That's the nature of the beast. By being a nontrad who has military and work experience and who wants to further their already established career, I think you're leaps and bounds ahead of the pack when it comes to your PS. At least your PS won't be the same old song and dance.

Best wishes.
Drake Law School
Class of 2011

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »
Oh come on, I had a five-year career before I came to law school and I made the change so I can help some people. Change my little corner of the world.

Anyway, the honesty comes out of those kids within the first few weeks of school after they're reminded of how much they have to borrow. Suddenly, they all think they're all getting BigLaw jobs that pay six figures upon graduation.