Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Considering postponing until December  (Read 963 times)

AaronJ

Considering postponing until December
« on: September 25, 2004, 09:14:21 PM »
Hey guys, I thought I'd try to solicite some advice about what materials I should aquire, if any, if I end up not taking the test until December.  Right now I am scoring in the mid to high 160's and I havent yet broken 170 which is my goal.  I feel like I have a strong grasp both intuitively and formulaically with regard to LR, however, I still from time to time really screw up a section that I thought I did well on.  I am reasonably good at games as well although I could botch a few of those if really tried.  RC is not a weakness.

Should I go out and get the LR and/or LG Bible's I hear so much about?  Has anyone else been in this situation and been able to make the improvement they wanted? 

I would appreciate anyone's input on this.  Thanks.

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Considering postponing until December
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 12:31:24 AM »
Aaron, I am not sure how taking the test and cancelling your score is viewed by admissions people.  If its not a factor at all, I would advise going ahead and taking the test in October and cancelling UNLESS you were VERY confident that you got the score you want.   If cancellations are a negative, I would advise waiting until December when you are consistently scoring over your target.

I took February LSAT while averaging 164ish in practice and got a 158.  Somehow, I left the test feeling like I did okay, and I was confident that I was at least over 160.  BIG mistake not to have cancelled!!! 

This time I'm averaging high 160s with several scores in low 170s.  I highly recommend LR Bible, and I've reduced errors per LR section from 5+ to 3 or less.  I would recommend Games Bible only if you're scoring low, and cannot figure out how to set the games up optimally regardless of how much time you have.  Otherwise just do games over and over and work on pace and accuracy.

AaronJ

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 12:38:34 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I just ordered the LR Bible and I am hoping it will help me get over the hump so to speeak.

On canceling scores I understand that it does nothing to affect your record.  If there was any reason to be worried about it being a scar on your record you could always make up an excuse like you were fighting the flu at the time and so you felt you didnt give your best performance. 

mukhia

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 10:15:44 PM »
On canceling scores I understand that it does nothing to affect your record.  If there was any reason to be worried about it being a scar on your record you could always make up an excuse like you were fighting the flu at the time and so you felt you didnt give your best performance. 

Hey, where did you hear this?  I really need some verification right now.  I was on a business trip all last week and took my books with but the studying just did not happen.  I came back sick as a dog, and I really can't focus.  I am scared and seriously thinking about switching to December, but am also open to taking it in October and cancelling if I don't feel my performance is up to par with my practices...do we automatically have to include an addendum with our apps to explain cancellations or something?  Someone please give me some sage advice because I'm cross-eyed with fever and want to vomit over my preptests.  Thank you.

superiorlobe

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 10:21:34 PM »
I am sure that cancelling does not count against you.  There could be a million reasons you cancelled (flu, were one-off when filling in your bubbles all the way down and didn't realize until time was called, had to leave the room during the middle of the test due to food poisoning, sister died the prevoius morning and you couldn't concentrate as a result, etc. etc.)  so there is no justification for anyone to draw any conclusions from a cancelled score.  Also, some people are going to cancel if they bomb just one game and think they are only going to get a 170 as a result, but others will keep a 150 and would cancel if they thought they were down around 145.  So who knows what a cancelled score means.  A cancelled score is just a blank and I am sure it is not even reported to the law schools.

AaronJ

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 10:31:24 PM »

Hey, where did you hear this?  I really need some verification right now.  I was on a business trip all last week and took my books with but the studying just did not happen.  I came back sick as a dog, and I really can't focus.  I am scared and seriously thinking about switching to December, but am also open to taking it in October and cancelling if I don't feel my performance is up to par with my practices...do we automatically have to include an addendum with our apps to explain cancellations or something?  Someone please give me some sage advice because I'm cross-eyed with fever and want to vomit over my preptests.  Thank you.

I wouldnt worry about canceling.  I have heard that it is a safety net the LSAC provides for people in just your situation.  As far as I know it is a right you have as a test taker and even if an admissions director somehow had indication that you canceled, are they going to know why?  I am confident that they dont sit around worried about stuff like that nor have time to interogate applicants who have canceled.

You paid for the test and you will pay the fee to cancel and reschedule so dont hesitate to do so.  If you are really worried call the LSAC and ask someone.   

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 10:33:13 PM »
I am sure that cancelling does not count against you. There could be a million reasons you cancelled (flu, were one-off when filling in your bubbles all the way down and didn't realize until time was called, had to leave the room during the middle of the test due to food poisoning, sister died the prevoius morning and you couldn't concentrate as a result, etc. etc.) so there is no justification for anyone to draw any conclusions from a cancelled score. Also, some people are going to cancel if they bomb just one game and think they are only going to get a 170 as a result, but others will keep a 150 and would cancel if they thought they were down around 145. So who knows what a cancelled score means. A cancelled score is just a blank and I am sure it is not even reported to the law schools.

I certainly agree that cancelling is surely better than receiving a bad score, but I think cancelled scores are recorded and reported by LSAC.  Put yourself in the add comm's shoes:  Two equally qualified candidates both scored 172.  One had cancelled three times previously while the other had never cancelled.  This is an extreme example, but my point is not to totally disregard the potentially negative aspects of cancelling.  Of course my point assumes that cancellations are reported.  Can anyone verify this?

AaronJ

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 10:36:44 PM »
I have checked lsac.org and I havent found indication that this gets reported.  Someone on another thread suggested that they do get reported but I havent seen any support for that as a fact.

Canceling three times probably would raise suspicion.  Look at it as your get out of jail free card to be used once.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 10:38:07 PM »
It does.  I have no proof, but it does.

Silversoma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me at Radiohead- Thunderbird Stadium, August/03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 10:46:56 PM »
Mukhia, if I was in your shoes, I would postpone... you know that there is no way you can deliver a peak performance if you vomit all over your score sheet... I mean, that would probably wreck the scantron machine, and the buddy sitting next to you really isn't going to appreciate it if some lands on his shoes   :-\

Seriously girl, postpone and save yourself the stress  :-X
Practice LSATs so far: 156 155 157 155 157 161 162 161 155 155 160 164 166 161 170 166 168 160 163 162 172

LSAT's finished... I don't have to think about law school for a year now.
********* GO Team Canada GO!!!!! ***********