Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Briefly explain why you wish to attend...."  (Read 545 times)

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"Briefly explain why you wish to attend...."
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:54:59 AM »
I'm filling out my app for St. John's and this is the first thing on the second page. It asks you to briefly explain why you wish to attend. It gives you a paragraph worth of space. Should I just suck up to the school in this paragraph and only talk about how great I think the school is? Or can I just say that I want to go there because I love Queens and New York City, I lived there before and going to St. John's would give me a reason to go back. I do think their school is great, but that isn't my primary reason for wanting to go there, I love the environment of New York City. Do they just want compliments about their school in this paragraph?

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
Re: "Briefly explain why you wish to attend...."
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
I'm filling out my app for St. John's and this is the first thing on the second page. It asks you to briefly explain why you wish to attend. It gives you a paragraph worth of space. Should I just suck up to the school in this paragraph and only talk about how great I think the school is? Or can I just say that I want to go there because I love Queens and New York City, I lived there before and going to St. John's would give me a reason to go back. I do think their school is great, but that isn't my primary reason for wanting to go there, I love the environment of New York City. Do they just want compliments about their school in this paragraph?

I was wondering the same thing and I thought about possibly doing something about how I love the school and their respect for law and molding young minds has impressed me. Then again, I only want to sound like a partial feminine hygiene product.

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 10:16:09 AM »
tag.

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »
I'm going to hit on a few points.  I am applying to places where the geography appeals to me (I lived in the Great Plains my whole life and am applying to the coasts).  Also I am applying to metro areas (I grew up in a small town).  And I'm addressing a topic of importance to me in my PS so I'm going to research the programs at each law school and mention X program and how it relates to my area of interest.
_______
.|E|R|S.

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »
tag.

???

Just means I want to keep an eye on the thread, I'm interested too. I can see if there are replies by clicking on "unread replies to your posts" above.