Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kaplan Course vs Princeton Review Course  (Read 1128 times)

alexjudka

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaplan Course vs Princeton Review Course
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:37:51 AM »
Hi.

So im a junior in college right now and i have started preparing myself to take the LSATs in the spring, I believe the June test. Currently I am studying abroad so my preparation for the LSATs have slowed just a bit. When I return home however, I was interested in one of these two courses that are offered up by my school. I was just wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with these two companies? If the courses help and if not, are they worth the money?

Thank you for all of your advice in advance.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Kaplan Course vs Princeton Review Course
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:16:44 AM »
I teach for Princeton Review, and I think their in-class materials are as good as anyone's.  The most important thing when selecting a class is the instructor.  The best company in the world with the best books isn't going to be worth your dollar without a good instructor.  I'd call around and see if they'll put you in touch with the person teaching it.

alexjudka

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 12:26:04 PM »
After all the September scores have been released, does anyone have anymore comments on either course? Im just looking for some advice so I dont waste my money on one of these courses.

preposition

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »
Alex.

I teach for Kaplan and can say that it's been a very successful curriculum for my students.  There is some variation based on instructor - so that's why you want to get a course that allows you to try out multiple instructors and does not force you in to only one section of a class.  Kaplan lets you take classes with any instructor at any center nationwide while you're enrolled.  Here's recent feedback from a September student of mine - I can put you in touch with her if you'd like more info on her experience.

Subject: LSAT score
Date: Fri, October 19, 2007 6:16 pm
To: xxxx@cornell.edu

Hi, ******

I hope life as a 1L is treating you well. I just wanted to
thank you for all your help, because I got my LSAT score back
today, and I got a 180!!! I know I used too many commas, but
I'm excited and wanted to say thank you.

Amanda

LSATstruggle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:54:45 PM »
The Kaplan course is for people aiming for a few points. A 161-163. And lets say they start out at a 156. They give you a few helpful tips to get about 5 points.

If you are trying to get in the 170's the course is a complete waste of time.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:00:11 PM »
Kaplan and PR are both somewhat weak, IMO.  Note that the two posters here work for those companies.  (I respect you personally, EarlCat, but you do work for one, and this should probably be noted.)  If I had to take one, I'd take Princeton Review.  (I'm sure EarlCat's course rocks.)

However, Testmasters and Powerscore are both apparently more intensive.

preposition

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 05:05:57 PM »
Moving from a 156 to a 163 is going from the 70th - 90th percentile and effectively surpassing 26,000 test takers.  No small feat by any means.  

I started with Kaplan at 168 and ended in the upper 170s.  And now I teach it and see similar results.  There are less of those stories out there because only 5% of people start at our level.  And Kaplan has a million students.

It's a stigma that Kaplan has because it prepares so many people for the test that people have come to believe it's for the average test taker.  The law of averages would put the average Kaplan student at a 151.  5 points better than a 151 is 20 percentile points increase (again, 26,000 test-takers).  5 points better than a 172 is still the 99th percentile.

I'll agree that not all options work for all people - but I have a hard time believing (from my own experience if nothing else) that Kaplan just "doesn't work" for high scorers.  

I teach logic and I'm not a marketer, so I don't care if you sign up for Kaplan or anything else.  However, I will defend what I do with facts.  Hell, I like arguments.

LSATstruggle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 05:10:17 PM »
Moving from a 156 to a 163 is going from the 70th - 90th percentile and effectively surpassing 26,000 test takers.  No small feat by any means.  

I started with Kaplan at 168 and ended in the upper 170s.  And now I teach it and see similar results.  There are less of those stories out there because only 5% of people start at our level.  And Kaplan has a million students.

It's a stigma that Kaplan has because it prepares so many people for the test that people have come to believe it's for the average test taker.  The law of averages would put the average Kaplan student at a 151.  5 points better than a 151 is 20 percentile points increase (again, 26,000 test-takers).  5 points better than a 172 is still the 99th percentile.

I'll agree that not all options work for all people - but I have a hard time believing (from my own experience if nothing else) that Kaplan just "doesn't work" for high scorers.  

I teach logic and I'm not a marketer, so I don't care if you sign up for Kaplan or anything else.  However, I will defend what I do with facts.  Hell, I like arguments.

A lot of the people who take the course are clueless. The person who got a 162 thinks he can get in Virginia now. I am like are you going to retake? No he is celebrating.

But whatveer.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:15:03 PM »

I teach logic

I thought you said you taught for Kaplan? 

If you taught for TM or PS, this claim might hold more water.

and I'm not a marketer

Hm.

preposition

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 05:21:24 PM »
Again, I'm using facts - not getting personal.

I've had great success with Kaplan both as a student and as an instructor, especially with high scorers.  That's why I am surprised.  Yes, the average student at Kaplan is, well, average.  But that doesn't mean that the elite students only do average in their improvement.  On the contrary, in my experience.  I've seen more 175-180 scorers (while helping train new instructors) come out of Kaplan classes. 

I don't mean to fight your Kaplan hatred with my own experiences - I just thought I'd dole out some expertise in a place where it seemed needed.