Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 16-0 Patriots?!  (Read 2685 times)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 16-0 Patriots?!
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 10:05:37 AM »
The super bowl has meaning and we all know that. When the pats are interviewed they will continue to express that everything is for nothing without the super bowl, thats just the kind of team that they are.

But go back to 1974, who won the super bowl? Who won the super bowl in 1971? What about 1983?

Now who was the last team to have an undefeated regular season?

It doesn't matter.  The major purpose of the regular season is to advance to the post-season. The Pats would rather go 10-6 and win the Super Bowl than go 16-0, advance to the Super Bowl, and lose. 

The very best teams walk the walk during the regular season AND finish strong by winning the Super Bowl. 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 10:08:18 AM »
The super bowl has meaning and we all know that. When the pats are interviewed they will continue to express that everything is for nothing without the super bowl, thats just the kind of team that they are.

But go back to 1974, who won the super bowl? Who won the super bowl in 1971? What about 1983?

Now who was the last team to have an undefeated regular season?

And another thing.  Let's take the 2004 Steelers as a similar case-in-point.

They went 15-1 in the regular season.  This is also amazing. 

They lost to the Jets in the Divisional Playoff game.

Are they considered one of the elite teams in NFL history?  I don't think so. 

conoroberst

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 11:23:17 AM »
They didnt go undefeated.

The Pats are still going to win the super bowl, but theyve already made history as the greatest team. No matter what happens now, 20 years from now theyll still be talking about the 2007-2008 Pats.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »
Pats - 38-0 you heard it here first.

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 09:48:07 PM »
The Pats are still going to win the super bowl, but theyve already made history as the greatest team. No matter what happens now, 20 years from now theyll still be talking about the 2007-2008 Pats.

Wrong.  Adjusted for inflation, the '72 Dolphins and the '85 Bears are still better teams.  The Pats will lose in the playoffs.
B < PL

conoroberst

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 12:10:56 AM »
*Yawns*

Go ahead and be the guy that swears that the pats will lose the next game every week, one day you'll even be able to claim that you knew it all along. Your denial reminds me of a certain head coach that still thinks he is doing (did) an excellent job.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 12:42:34 AM »
They didnt go undefeated.

It's still relevant.  While it's not a perfect analogy, it sheds some light on the situation.

If they had won the Super Bowl, they would be considered one of the best teams of all-time.  Don't you remember the hoopla? 

Well...how often do you hear about them?  Hardly ever (except for maybe diehard Steelers fans)

Now, we will hear about the Pats more because they went through the regular season undefeated, but not as much as one would like to think.  But they will not be on the list of greatest teams for 95%  of the population.  You can count on that, mi amigo.   

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 12:34:38 AM »
*Yawns*

Go ahead and be the guy that swears that the pats will lose the next game every week, one day you'll even be able to claim that you knew it all along. Your denial reminds me of a certain head coach that still thinks he is doing (did) an excellent job.

Maybe it's just you dealing with the bitterness of finally realizing that Bright Eyes sucks, but comparing me to Callahan is just below the belt. This is only like the third time I've claimed at any point this season that the Patriots would lose "the next game" so try a bit harder not to be an idiot.

Not that it matters.  The Patriots will lose in the playoffs.  If they make it to the Super Bowl, its over.  The NFC is awful.
B < PL

westside

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 11:17:24 PM »
If GB makes it to the Super Bowl and it's GB and NE, I believe that NE will win.
I think the Chargers and Patriots game will be a pretty decent game, especially since the Chargers won against the Colts without having some of its starters.