Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT: A WUSTL 3L answers your questions  (Read 7140 times)

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
Re: ITT: A WUSTL 3L answers your questions
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »
You say that WUSTL has a very laid back environment where people don't talk about grades or rankings. What do you think it is about the students that makes them so?

Perhaps the notion of going to budweiser university attracts lazy fratboys?

Perhaps the large scholarships they offer attract a large number of stereotypical humanities majors with no other job prospects who are very ambivalent about law school in general and like the idea of delaying entering the real world while also not collecting 150k in debt?

Perhaps the friendliness toward people with high lsats and low gpas means alot of smart people who have trouble applying themselves or just don't concern themselves with external measures of success?

Perhaps its location in the midwest discourages many of the more obsessive gunnerish students from even applying?

Being as I am strongly considering enrolling in the fall, I am very interested in the general makeup of the student body. The huge binder I just got in the mail didn't really cover this subject very well.

I have never been in any sort of environment where people flaunt their grades or openly boast about how well they're doing. The fact that it does occur at various schools is completely foreign to me.

Everyone knows that rankings and grades are important. However, equally important is avoiding the disdain of your fellow classmates. It's not out of jealousy that one would garner disfavor. Rather, it is the fact that you come off as arrogant when you raise the subject for the sole purpose of flaunting your grades.

It's not that people actively avoid discussing grades. We simply don't see the merits in doing so.

If you are seeking affirmation in law school, then I suggest you attend a local school. This way your parents' refrigerator is readily at hand.

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2008, 08:59:22 PM »
Bump. Just sitting around and waiting for graduation on Friday.

Betsy 1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2008, 05:59:28 AM »
What about part-time legal employment during the school year for 2Ls and 3Ls with no real ties to STL; I'd like to work to keep down living expense loans, and I feel like it should be possible, as it's a decent-sized market, but...

Thanks!

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »
I know a few people who did that with no ties to the area. Generally 1 - 2 person shops who just need an extra hand. I think the pay was like $15/hour or something like that. The firm will post an ad with the school and you just apply.