Law School Discussion

ITT: A WUSTL 3L answers your questions

JG

Re: ITT: A WUSTL 3L answers your questions
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 12:45:50 PM »
My thoughts:

1.  There are nice residential areas close to the law school, though very few places are close enough that you could walk--almost everyone drives, and a few take a shuttle or the local light rail.  The U. City Loop, the Skinker/Debaliviere area, the Central West End, and Clayton, all of which are close, offer different levels of safety, cost, niceness, and amount of stuff to do.  I lived in the Central West End, which is a nice neighborhood with a fair amount to do, but it's on the pricey side (for St. Louis) and is not as safe as Clayton.

2. I considered Northwestern but came to WUSTL for money and location (I'm from STL); my friends considered Texas, GW, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, and lots of others ranked a few up and a few down from WUSTL.

3.  I knew a bunch of people who went to South Africa with a school program; I don't know about others.

4.  The administration is great.  I never had anything but the most positive interactions with them.  Dean Bolin is particularly delightful.

elvis25

• It's not that big of a decision
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the posts. Very hulpful  ;D

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 12:36:49 PM »
bump

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »
What is the food like in St. Louis? Is there a gym on campus or nearby?

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 07:56:26 PM »
I heard Wash U is very conservative...any comments? And what's up with the M to F ratio?

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 01:30:55 PM »

Lots of pretty good local restaurants. Not world class but you certainly don't have to eat at Chili's or Applebees everyday.

You get membership to the campus gym with your tuition. I've never been there so sorry that I can be of more help. Forest Park is across the street (3rd largest park in the U.S.) so that is where most everyone goes jogging and stuff.

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 01:34:41 PM »
I heard Wash U is very conservative...any comments? And what's up with the M to F ratio?

I've never picked up on any overt conservative tendencies. The school is in Anheseur-Busch Hall so they don't have a problem taking money from them and booze is readily available at functions. Missouri as a whole is pretty conservative, though. I'd guess that it's somewhere in the middle.

M-F ratio is around 60%-40%. Definitely no sword fest.

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2007, 03:14:22 PM »

To add to wustl3l's post, there is an area known as the Hill not too far from campus well known for its great Italian restaurants, if you happen to like Italian.

(I'm a 0L, but I'm from St. Louis)

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2007, 03:15:52 PM »

I don't know about the political climate of WUSTL itself, but St. Louis in general is what I'd call a moderate area.  The actual city itself always goes democrat, while the suburbs tend to run more towards the conservative side of the spectrum.  Of course there are lots of exceptions though.

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 10:47:45 PM »
bump