Law School Discussion

Religion in Personal Statement

Religion in Personal Statement
« on: October 14, 2007, 03:45:08 PM »
I'm having second thoughts about my PS....

I submitted applications last week to Harvard and Columbia, with my PS being largely about my identity as first generation Canadian Muslim. I don't discuss anything controversial; I really just talk about how it has been a factor in shaping my identity. I think it's a pretty good PS, and I've received many comments to that effect.

However, I've also been told by one person (who has been involved in admissions before) that admissions committees dislike ANY mention of religion, and that my PS might hurt my app. I'm not sure what to do, but I know that I still have confidence in my PS right now. Other people who have reviewed my PS who have also been involved in my admissions have told me that my faith is an asset, not a liability.

Any thoughts?

Re: Religion in Personal Statement
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 07:35:25 PM »
that admissions committees dislike ANY mention of religion, and that my PS might hurt my app.

Not at all.  Admissions committees just want to get a better sense of you as a person.  If religion shaped your life and is a big part of who you are, it is a more than appropriate topic for your PS.  I would have to agree with your other friends as I think the PS is probably an asset.

ghil04

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Religion in Personal Statement
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 09:37:39 PM »
I agree as well.  If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to read it.