Law School Discussion

"List all your Honors..."

viv

• View Profile
Re: "List all your Honors..."
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »
SJ, I'm sort of the opposite.  I work my ass off during the summer so I can pay for school, groceries, gas etc during the academic year.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 07:01:51 PM »
I listed what was worthwhile. If you can spin working at Baskin Robbins, throw it on there.

And I really think that adcomms see both SJ's and viv's scenarios often enough that the red flags people might worry about don't get raised.

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't cured cancer or been a Rhodes scholar. I don't even have any Dean's lists - I've either been under the required amount of credits when my GPA was good enough, or I've been just consistently average with my grades. Wow, I suck.

wow you're not alone

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 11:02:25 PM »
Do honor societies count for this? I was in two of them during undergrad. You could only get in them if you met certain criteria such as a certain GPA.

Where I list honor societies really depends on how the application words the awards question and if there is any other logical spot to put it.  I believe I did put my honor society in the awards section on a couple of applications because of the way they worded their question and because my 2 semesters on the Deans List followed by 3 blank lines is really depressing.

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 08:35:17 AM »
Not depressing! Own it! Those three blank lines have panache!

But not as much as five blank lines do. Woo-hoo. We are talking about CLASS here.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 09:34:30 AM »
I'm in the same boat. All I have going for me is Deans List every semester enrolled, my writing published in my college honor journal, and Summa Cum Laude graduation. I didn't have any scholarships, and I also threw out my golden key and greek-letter honor society invitations.

I hope this doesn't detract from my application too much. The grades are there, obviously, but I was too busy working full time during UG to participate in all those honor societies.

Right now I work as a legal assistant at a V15 Biglaw firm, and I received my firm's Pro Bono Service Award and Above and Beyond Award for Outstanding Performance. Should I list these as well to fill out that section or is this a terrible idea?

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 12:00:48 PM »
I'm in the same boat. All I have going for me is Deans List every semester enrolled, my writing published in my college honor journal, and Summa Cum Laude graduation. I didn't have any scholarships, and I also threw out my golden key and greek-letter honor society invitations.

I hope this doesn't detract from my application too much. The grades are there, obviously, but I was too busy working full time during UG to participate in all those honor societies.

Right now I work as a legal assistant at a V15 Biglaw firm, and I received my firm's Pro Bono Service Award and Above and Beyond Award for Outstanding Performance. Should I list these as well to fill out that section or is this a terrible idea?

If it just says awards, then by all means.  But if it says academic awards, I think you'd be pushing it.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »

If it just says awards, then by all means.  But if it says academic awards, I think you'd be pushing it.

Words of wisdom.