Law School Discussion

Animal Rights Good PS Topic?

Cabra

• View Profile
Re: Animal Rights Good PS Topic?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2007, 04:24:12 PM »
Please list some or all of the rights that animals have.  Thank you. 

To me, they should have the same rights as children or the mentally disabled. yes, I'm a radical.
They're sentient and we don't actually "need" to use animals in modern times.

So being sentient is sufficient for having rights?  Could you perhaps go into a little more detail as to why this is the case?

If you were to try to pin down what it is about humans that makes us different from animals, you'd struggle. Numerous types of animals use tools, pigs have superstition, studies have been done with various animal types examining the way they make choices and it's clear that fore thought is involved (see recent article on baboons in NY times). Animals' experience of enjoyment, pleasure, pain and sadness is well documented. Complex forms of communication have been uncovered in bees, birds, primates, wolves...

What makes us human? Government? Religion? Clothes? Language? Do all humans everywhere have these things in ways that make them sufficiently human? Are you certain that animals do not?

We have human rights because we recognize the sentience of our fellow humans--their pain looks just like ours and our evolved little selves see that as wrong. I see animal rights as an extension of that recognition.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2007, 04:41:14 PM »
Okay, i'll stop now. This is about the time my friends/family give me "the look" and don't feel like asking questions any more.   

I generally stick to saying, "I can make consumer choices that are cruelty-free, good for the planet, and good for me, so I do."

Most people don't want the whole story and definitely don't want to have to reconsider their own diet. I figure if I keep my veggie-ness non-threatening more people around me will be open to it--it seems to work.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2007, 04:43:22 PM »
A mosquito bites me, and I get malaria.  Can I sue the mosquito for assault?

A lion kills a zebra in the Savannah.  Can the zebra's decedents sue the lion for wrongful death?

rights =/= laws

you know better.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 05:12:17 PM »
Exactly. I'm not preaching to them how they should live, yet as soon as someone finds out i'm a vegetarian the questions start pouring out. Then i answer them and they resort to jokes or change the subject. It's hard because I only have one vegetarian friend, but then again it has only been a year. Luckily my family has accepted it, although it did take them awhile to accept that picking the chicken off the salad kind of defeats the purpose.

I have run into this too. I have my own rules on how to handle it. I will answer any question they ask to my best ability. I will never ever lecture them about morals. I will not discuss it over a meal. I will show them more respect than they show me if it goes a negitive route.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 05:25:41 PM »
A mosquito bites me, and I get malaria.  Can I sue the mosquito for assault?

A lion kills a zebra in the Savannah.  Can the zebra's decedents sue the lion for wrongful death?

rights =/= laws

you know better.

I think you're skipping over something.  Bestowing "rights" onto animals would presumably demand that we (humans) treat animals in a certain way.  However, no one could ever demand that animals treat humans in a certain way. 

If a small child commits a wrong, we may not hold him morally or legally responsible, but we still shift that burden to a parent or guardian.  Same with a pet.  Either way you are still holding a human responsible.  One would never hold a mother wolf morally or legally responsible for the wrongs of the baby wolf. 

Animal/Animal "crimes" are out of human jurisdiction. :)

Bear who commits crime in human dumpster is removed from the area where he can commit such a crime.

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2007, 05:26:16 PM »
My personal statement dealt with my experiences as a vet tech in an emergency hospital.  I also mentioned my desire to pursue a career in animal law. I sent this in to all schools regardless of whether they had an animal law program.  Very few schools offer more than one class in animal law anyway, and most don't even offer that.  The way I see it, as long as I get a good legal education and perform well I can pursue a career in my field of choosing. 

That said, I didn't go into any discussion on animal rights really. I tried to steer clear of making it an ethical argument, as I didn't want to go there for my PS.

I also wrote a diversity statement on being a vegan for 8 years but I only sent that to a few schools where it seemed to fit in well with the Diversity statement instructions. 

I think you'll be fine, at the very least it will probably be an engaging essay.  It's a fine line to walk, because you don't want to come off sounding preachy, but you also don't want to take a weak stance on the issue. 

P.S. any vegans out there? ;)

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2007, 05:38:28 PM »

Animals are out of human moral jurisdiction.

I would agree with that.  Would you?

If we didn't own them, eat them, wear them, test *&^% on them or tromp around in their habitats that would be true.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2007, 08:52:31 PM »
Please list some or all of the rights that animals have.  Thank you. 

To me, they should have the same rights as children or the mentally disabled. yes, I'm a radical.
They're sentient and we don't actually "need" to use animals in modern times.

Realistically, within my life time, I expect that laws within the US and Europe will come protect "higher" animals like pets and apes beyond their value as "property". Vegetarianism  and veganism will become more mainstream--like 25% of the population--and everyone else will be eating less meat for health and environmental reasons. We will have evolved past animal testing because it's inefficient and technology allows us more effective ways of testing products. And fur will finally, officially, be a faux pas.

Wanna be my internet girlfriend?

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2007, 08:56:58 PM »
I was amazed (compared to the US) how easy it was to find veggie friendly places (as well as organic foods) in Europe. It was a beautiful beautiful thing.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2007, 09:12:13 PM »
I was amazed (compared to the US) how easy it was to find veggie friendly places (as well as organic foods) in Europe. It was a beautiful beautiful thing.

OMG I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.  When I was in Britain half the menu was vegetarian.  It was paradise.  Here in South Dakota the only vegetarian thing on the menu is the fries... if you ask for them with no seasoning.  It sucks.  Okay, theres always the bean burrito and tofu stir fry but that gets old after a while.