Law School Discussion

Animal Rights Good PS Topic?

t L

• View Profile
Re: Animal Rights Good PS Topic?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 02:14:10 PM »
Man, I'm thinking about writing my PS about becoming a vegetarian in a Midwestern family with strong Southern roots.  I think your PS sounds like it's going to be more serious, while I'm taking a light-hearted turn with mine.

I do think that you are spreading yourself too thin with all your ideas.  I would just focus on one of them.  2 pages really ins't a lot of space to cover a lot of material.  Depth before breadth.

Lets hear it for all the vegetarians on the board!

Rock on!

It seems the girl veges outnumber the boy veges. 

BTW vegetarians, check out fantasticfoods.com if you want to order tasty, cheap, and easy-to-make chilli, sloppy joes or tacos.  SO SO GOOD.  Especially the chilli but really all three of those are really good.  It's like $2.50 a box after you factor in shipping and you get enjough "vege meat" for 6-8 tacos/sloppy joes/ bowls of chiilli.

Cool.  I'm going to check this out.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 02:22:45 PM »
You can support animal rights and still think PETA is disgusting

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 02:23:07 PM »
As much as I love animals, they are just too damn tastey not to eat, the cuter they are the most tasy they become for some reason, veal anyone?

does not merit a response.

ps. water law is freaking fascinating. we live in a great state.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 02:29:41 PM »

You're definitely right.  The eerie thing about MOST PETA-hate is how reflexive it is.  The legitimate criticisms against PETA are rarely, in my experience, brought up.  It's mostly just angst by people who love to hunt and eat meat spouting off unreasonable attacks against them.  That's all I'm sayin'.

I actually disagree w/ PETA on the tactics.  I think they should focus on apes (b/c they are so human like) and companion animals (b/c most people want to protect their pets).  Animal testing and food standards are important too but its just so unpopular that it isn't pragmatic at all.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 02:31:18 PM »

Agreed. PETA hurts more than it helps. I have problems with them on so many levels.

I appreciate the undercover work they fund and some of the research they support but...their public face is shameful.

ghil04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »
As much as I love animals, they are just too damn tastey not to eat, the cuter they are the most tasy they become for some reason, veal anyone?

Yup, puppies are fricking delicious.   :o

I kidd, I kidd! 

ghil04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »
And no ethnic slurs about dog-eating, please ;)

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 03:18:11 PM »
Please list some or all of the rights that animals have.  Thank you. 

Pretty much the same as us.  The right to life and the right to live without having harm inflicted upon them.  Obviously the civil rights would be ridiculous (freedom of speech, right to vote, etc.).  But yeah basically they have a vested interest in being alive and being happy so we should respect that. 

Let me put it another way.  What rights does a 2 year old child have?  Because mentally there are no significant difference between a 2 year old and a chimpanzee for example.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
See, my problems with PETA stem mostly from their wholesale celebrity worshiping and most of all, for the way that they objectify women.
They're also extremely inconsistent with their agenda. They support the outlawing and euthanization of pitbulls in cities. They have their whole "go veg" thing, but then they spend an inordinate amount of time on "humane" slaughter and "bigger cages" in factory farms.

I'd love to see them knock it off with the playmate tofu wrestling and focus on some areas where they could make a real difference--testing on apes is one area, spaying and neutering is another, vegetarian awareness, and if they stopped with the naked women for a second, they could do some real good in making fur and animal tested products unpopular.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 03:57:22 PM »
Please list some or all of the rights that animals have.  Thank you. 

To me, they should have the same rights as children or the mentally disabled. yes, I'm a radical.
They're sentient and we don't actually "need" to use animals in modern times.

Realistically, within my life time, I expect that laws within the US and Europe will come protect "higher" animals like pets and apes beyond their value as "property". Vegetarianism  and veganism will become more mainstream--like 25% of the population--and everyone else will be eating less meat for health and environmental reasons. We will have evolved past animal testing because it's inefficient and technology allows us more effective ways of testing products. And fur will finally, officially, be a faux pas.