Law School Discussion

LSAT Addendum or Not?

LSAT Addendum or Not?
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:14:32 AM »
I am interested in some input for all of the knowledgeable folks here. 

Some law schools to which I am applying "recommend" that one submits an explanation for disparate LSAT scores, but it's not required.

I don't feel that I possess a good reason (I jumped 9 points.), so I really don't think it's in my best interest to write anything (and I'm not going to unethical and make up something).

Is it going to hurt me, even at a place where my stats are good?   

Bowie

• View Profile
Re: LSAT Addendum or Not?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:44:34 AM »
I really don't see why an increase in scores needs explaining at all. People have good days, and people have off days. To want someone to write an explaination as to why you scored better on one test over the other just seems ridiculous and unnecessary to me, almost like they don't really believe how you could have improved so much the second time.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:57:52 AM »
No, no, no, no, no.

Remember: a large increase in LSAT score from one administration to another is not supposed to happen. Standard deviation is very low (about 1 point).

Schools take the test's predictive value seriously. From their perspective a large score jump basically means that something must have been very different, or you're all over the place score-wise and simply lucked into that big jump, in which case schools will promptly average.

It's your mission to convince them that the former possibility applies to your case. Even if your addendum is something along the lines of 'I adopted some different preperation strategies,' or 'I realized after getting my first score back that I had approached the test with the wrong attitude,' or whatever, it's still better than not providing any context at all.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:15:14 PM »
Thank you very much for your honest input, both of you!

Anybody else want to chip in their two cents?  :)

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »
My guess is it's just for such prodigious discrepancies as could suggest foul play. 25+ points, that show you didn't take the LSAT 'just to see your score' the first time, but rather saw your score, panicked, cheated the second time.