Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California Western  (Read 716 times)

P. Pius

• View Profile
California Western
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:39:49 AM »
So what's the general thought on California Western, in San Diego?  Obviously, it would be ranked lower than USD...but looking beyond that, what do you all think of this law school??

Fyi, I currently go to school in Texas, took the LSAT in Sept and am just waiting to hear back on how I did.  In the meantime, I'm looking at some schools out on the west coast, and this one caught my eye.  (and before anyone asks, I'd need a small miracle to get into somewhere like UCLA, Hastings, or Davis)

Thanks for the input!
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

marymcq

• View Profile
Re: California Western
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 07:58:28 PM »
As a lurker on this board for over a year, let me preface this by saying there are a lot of intelligent overacheiving people on this board who are all about the T1 schools and they will deservedly go to a T1 school. And then there's a lot of other people who are obsessed with T1, but are pretige-whoring fakers. People may say mean/scary/untrue things about non-T1 schools, just take that advice with a grain of salt and make a decision that's best for YOU.

Your numbers are similar to mine when I applied last cycle. I got into a slew of T2,3, and 4's, and happily chose Cal Western.
Granted, as a 1L, my view of Cal Western's reputation and job prospects is only 2 months old. But I feel like Cal Western has a very strong reputation within San Diego. There seems to be an extensive alumni network throughout the county, which always helps. It seems like every attorney I meet in San Diego either went to Cal Western, or knows someone who did and thinks highly of them. Whether or not the name will travel throughout California, I have yet to find out. Though I have been in San Diego for quite a few years now and I don't really intend to leave...

As for the school's relationship with USD.... so far I haven't felt or seen any comparisons. There's been a few SD law school socials where I've met some USD students, and they're perfectly nice people. I have yet to witness any preferential treatment. I DO think that Cal Western has the best law library in SD, though. Hands down ;)

If you have any specific questions, just message me

so if you have any questions I can answer them on this thread, or just message me ;)