Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U. of Colo. verses U. of Denver  (Read 3510 times)

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: U. of Colo. verses U. of Denver
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2004, 05:59:47 PM »
melissa2781 - how did you like Denver?  How about DU?  The rankings came out the other day and CU dropped 8 points and DU gained one making them much closer now... Now I am more torn between the two!

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2004, 12:57:01 PM »
schoomp,

When i walked through the law school building all i kept saying was "wow".  it was absolutely amazing.... you can be on the toilet and on the internet.  It was so nice and new and beautiful and technologically advanced.  They have trial training rooms that look just like a court room, with the jury box, judges chair, witness stand.... the whole nine yards.  there were crevices everywhere with little study rooms, and some of them overlooked the Rockies.  The library seemed decent... it was three stories high in the same building... but i don't really know how the content of the library is.   Their moot court was beautiful, and almost all of the classrooms are shaped in a half circle, so everyone can see and face each other pretty much.  they have a parking garage right below the building, and the campus as a whole was well kept and pretty.  Coming from a small undergrad school... i was very impressed by the size of the school and the grounds, and how its like a mini city.  everyone was so friendly, everyone smiled and said hello. 

I talked to alot of ppl in denver about the law school, and everyone is aware that CU might lose their accredidation and that is totally affecting their perception of their law program.  Everyone is also aware of the awesome new law bldg DU has, and they are looking more and more favorably towards DU.

as far as denver.... absolutely gorgeous.  Ive never been to Colorado before, but i really do look forward to moving there this august.  I did alot of apartment shopping and furniture shopping, and i found the perfect apartment with a view of the mountains and a fire place.  Im a little nervous about not living on campus, only because i wont know anyone and the best way to meet people is in the community you live in... but I think im a little beyond the whole living on campus thing.  the other graduates in the other graduate programs seem to take school less seriously and partying more seriously, and they seem to be the ones who take up the bulk of the on campus graduate housing.  if you go to DU for a tour, which i highly recomend, try to make an appt to see their grad housing. You'll see their apartments are a little outdated and they arnt putting much effort into their upkeep since they are planning on knocking the bldgs down in a few years anyway.

but denver was so beautiful, and so clean, and i felt so safe and comfortable there.  I can't wait to move their......... even though its going to be a 37 hour drive :-D.  Im up for the road trip.
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 01:02:41 PM »
and thank you SO much Pub. Interest gal for all of your help and advice!  i found the apartment i *hope* i am getting in the neighborhoods you described.  So thanks  ;D !!!
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2004, 02:19:18 PM »
tre1168,

i still haven't heard from colorado, and i submitted in november as well. i had a 168/3.07 (from top 5 LAC), with five years WE. i'm originally from arizona, never lived in colorado.

all i get is the email on the first of the month saying my application is being reviewed... don't know why they're the last of the 11 to get back to me.

HighPSI

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2004, 03:20:19 PM »
My friend did his JD and is finishing his LLM at DU right now.  It's well known in CO that CU is on the downslope while DU is working like mad to improve it's national perception.  Notice in the new USNews ratings they talk about DU I believe in the article on programs offering international courses.  My suspicion as that someone at DU is good with PR to get themselves referenced.  Bottom line, if you're going to work in Colorado and possibly some surrounding States, there likely won't be any doors open to someone to CU that aren't also open to someone from DU.  I'd pay more and go to the rising school just for the general optimism that must exist vs. worrying about freaking ABA accredidation for 3 years.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2004, 04:21:23 PM »
So Melissa, you're going then?  Looks like I am too! Where are you driving from?  37 hours?! I was a little apprehensive about choosing Denver but after reading about your experience visiting I'm so excited!

thechoson

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2004, 04:24:39 PM »
Where is this place where you can sit on the toilet an be online?  This is the place I should be at...

Pub. Interest gal

• 3.8gpa / 162 LSAT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2004, 05:20:24 PM »
I have to say... I too was incredibly impressed by the facilities at Denver.  I visited UCLA last weekend and couldn't help but think that they couldn't compare.  Through in the mountains, the downtown area (which I adore- LODO hear I come), the sports options, being back by my family... and of course the $$$, I just don't think I can turn it down.  I should get final confirmation this weekend, but I am 95% sure I will be joining you all there as well! :D

Speaking of drives, where are you coming from 37 hours away?  I will be driving the 26 from DC and I thought that was bad?  Anybody else have any luck at convincing their any friend to make the trek with them?  Mine are simply laughing at me when I ask/ beg. :P

bush, not Bush

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2004, 06:06:47 PM »
Is anyone still seriously considering Colorado considering their accreditation issues?  I don't think that they will actually have their accreditation pulled, but the entire thing has been a huge black eye, which, coupled with the Football scandals and recent rankings plummet, makes me really think twice about the place.  Plus, at the very least we know that the law building is shite.  Comments, criticisms?

P.S. This is coming from someone who has NOT heard from them.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2004, 11:02:03 PM »
bush, not Bush - I am still seriously considering them (in fact right now that is where I plan to go).  I highly doubt their accreditation wil be pulled and to be honest if it was only because of the building, it would lower my whole idea of accrediation.  I'd rather learn in a crappy building from really good teachers than in a really nice building from crappy teachers.  The whole thing with the football scandals is a black eye, but I don't plan on going to football events so I dont' really care.

the other problem, is that there are only two law schools in Colorado, which really narrows the choices if you want to stay in Colorado.  Although I would love to go to a building like DU, after talking to several people at both schools, and several lawyers in the Denver area, I'm thinking CU is still the best bet.  Most likely, I bet they have a new school in 10 years or so, and then DU won't have much on them.  DU has a great MBA program, a wonderful graduate social work program, but talking around (even to people that go there for other things -i.e. MBA), don't have great things to say about the law school (in fact, several people I've talked to outside the law profession but still professional, didn't even know DU had a law school which I think says something)...