Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U. of Colo. verses U. of Denver  (Read 3382 times)

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: U. of Colo. verses U. of Denver
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 09:52:20 PM »
You should really like Denver.  The weather has been pretty good and it should be nice and sunny the whole time you are here :-)  If you need any ideas on things to do, let me know!

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 11:14:25 AM »
I used to live in Denver.  In my opinion, I would choose DU.  It is a very nice, clean school.  I know there is a price difference; however, don't forget CU is on the verge of losing ABA approval.  DU is sweet.  I used to hang out at the DU Law Library all the time to do my legal research for my paralegal degree.  You will enjoy it.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 02:55:01 PM »
One thing to note if you are coming out this Friday (more just to be aware that it was a problem earlier this week) is that they had several students (females) attacked in the area.  I'm thinking they will probably tell you this, but just so you are aware to be careful if you walk around at night by yourself :)

http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=98cfc72a-0abe-421a-0127-d31bbf035cb8&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

There were also some articles on it on thedenverchannel.com - however I can't fidn the links for them as it happened several days ago...

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 05:45:13 PM »
oh wow.... thank you so much for letting me know that.   I thought denver was a safe city :(  but i guess you find that anywhere!

Can anyone tell me anything about the living facilities on campus for the law students?  They told me that I can't have a tour of the apartments bc they dont have any available to show, which sucks because seeing those apartments was going to be the deciding factor on whether i wanted to live on campus or off.  Also.... does anyone know anything about Aurora?  Alot of apartments im going to look at are located in Aurora.

**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2004, 08:26:19 PM »
It isn't that Denver isn't a safe city - just like everywhere else you need to watch your surroundings.  The incidents happened last weekend and since then nothing else.  I think like a lot of campuses, something will happen, everyone worries, the worry goes away, something happens, repeat cycle.

As far as the living facilities on campus - I have no idea.  I haven't seen them.  They might have pictures?

Aurora probably isn't where you are going to want to live.  It is fairly far away from DU and depending on where in Aurora you live (it is a fairly big area), you can either live in a really good area or a really, really bad area.  When you are looking, you probably want to look at the prices of the places you are looking at - if they are "cheap" then they probably are not in a great area.  The Washington Park area (near DU) is really nice from what I know, but a little pricey.  Capital Hill/Cheesman Park is closer to downtown and about halfway between each.  The area is about 15 minutes (depending on traffic) from DU.  The area around the university is probably your best bet depending on whether you are going to have a car or not.  Also, that way you are close to school the first year and get to know the city a little bit and then can decide where you want to live the second year.

tre1160

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 12:45:11 PM »
I haven't heard from CU yet and I sent in my application in November.  I imagine this is not a good sign.  Any thoughts?  thanks

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 12:53:56 PM »
What are your numbers?  Are you in state or out of state?  Have you contacted them about it?

I turned my app in around Thanksgiving.  Heard from them late Jan/early Feb...

tre1160

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 04:36:26 PM »
3.98/156
Bad LSAT, I know. I didn't get in last year but this year I applied much earlier.  I think I am still doomed.

Thanks

hookem law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 05:40:50 PM »
You should retake the LSAT....with that stellar GPA, if you can score in the mid 160's, you could go any number of places with an average around 160.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 06:48:45 PM »
3.98/156
Bad LSAT, I know. I didn't get in last year but this year I applied much earlier.  I think I am still doomed.

Thanks

I don't know if this helps or not - I had a 3.4GPA and 164 LSAT.  However, I also have an almost 4.0 graduate GPA and several years of work experience.

It also might depend whether you are in-state/out-of-state.  Also, where did you get your undergraduate?  And do you have anything else going for you - such as minority, female, older, etc?