Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U. of Colo. verses U. of Denver  (Read 3582 times)

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
U. of Colo. verses U. of Denver
« on: March 15, 2004, 12:03:13 AM »
I was accepted to both CU and DU and was wondering if anyone had any information about either/both of them.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U. of Colo. verses U. of Denver
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 01:35:33 AM »
From general hearsay, I think UColorado is a better overall program than UDenver. :)

1L2005

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 07:38:22 AM »
Can't honestly say I know too much about either law school, but I went to CU undergrad/grad school.  As far as cities go, both Denver and Boulder are great!  I often wish I didn't leave.  If you like the smaller college town feel, head to CU, but if you want to be more in a city environment (though the campus is separated off and not right downtown) head to DU.  Boulder is only about 25mi from Denver so you wouldn't be too far away from the city there either. 

If you have any specific questions about the area, let me know.

1L2005

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 07:42:35 AM »
Schoomp, I just read in another post that you are a Denver native, so I guess you don't need any help w/ Denver/Boulder info.  Sorry I couldn't help w/ Law School specifics.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 07:15:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm already a Denver native with a lease on an apartment in Denver.  I'm swaying toward CU because it is better ranked.  Plus an hour bus ride there and back everyday would definitely give me plenty of time to study :-) 

Thank you both for responding though!!!  Good luck :-)

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 07:46:51 PM »
That article pretty much seemed to sum up what I thought of the two schools after visiting them.  I finally visited CU Wednesday.  Although the program seems better, it definately wasn't nearly as nice as DU.  Considering there is about a 50 years difference between the schools ages, it is no surprise though.  However, I wonder if the aesthetics of the place really matter that much?

Pub. Interest gal

• 3.8gpa / 162 LSAT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 01:36:26 PM »
As someone who visited DU this past Friday, I thought I would let you know what the financial aid officer had to say.  We were talking prices and he was being quite frank and told me, that there is no way he believes he can compete with in-state students who have been accepted to CU.  To come out of a top 50 law school with only $21,000 dollars in debt, as opposed to the almost $100,000 Denver will cost- how do you turn that down?  For me- CU didn't offer any classes in my area of interest, but the guy at DU insisted that the experiece you recieve after law school is so much more important than the classes you take during law school and so the VERY best idea is to limit your debt as much as possible.

However... and this is a huge however... there are rumors that CU is in risk of loosing its ABA accredidation.  I have friends who have applied and who are not going for that very reason- they are too afraid of that risk and can't seem to get any information out of CU about what is going on.

Good luck with your decision

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 06:28:27 PM »
I wonder how likely it is that the ABA will take away CU's accrediation?  I've heard that rumor too, but seeing that it has been around forever...  Plus I've also heard that should CU lose it, their is a good chance that it would be changed in CO. to where you don't have to go to an ABA school to practice law...

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 12:11:13 PM »
im flying into denver this friday to look at DU.... i can't wait.  My first time in denver.  I hear its an amazing city.
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**