Law School Discussion

Do you think they have the scores yet?

Re: Do you think they have the scores yet?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 09:21:36 AM »
I didn't get a Yale Chat message. Dammit. I'm going to Cooley.

tradewinds

• YLS 2011 (98% sure)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 09:36:52 AM »
Wow.  With a 170, I would clear the 75th percentile quite easily.

(3.692 versus 3.654) 

Would that mean that Stanford could be a "safety" school? ;)

Hmmm, I think I got something else with my math. I got 3.662 for a 170/4.1 and 3.627 for the 75th of 172/3.96. You still clear it though, just not by as much under my math.

Unfortunately, I don't think HYS can ever be considered safe :(

CrnchyCereal

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »
Wow.  With a 170, I would clear the 75th percentile quite easily.

(3.692 versus 3.654) 

Would that mean that Stanford could be a "safety" school? ;)

Hmmm, I think I got something else with my math. I got 3.662 for a 170/4.1 and 3.627 for the 75th of 172/3.96. You still clear it though, just not by as much under my math.

Unfortunately, I don't think HYS can ever be considered safe :(

Is "HYS" Harvard Law School or what?

Harvard, Yale, Stanford.

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 09:48:26 AM »
It's all about CCN baby ;D

tradewinds

• YLS 2011 (98% sure)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 10:00:36 AM »
Yeah, Harvard, Yale Stanford.

Yale is especially risky. As I understand it, they reject almost half of applicants with 4.0/180s.

Bowie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 10:13:50 AM »
Yeah, Harvard, Yale Stanford.

Yale is especially risky. As I understand it, they reject almost half of applicants with 4.0/180s.

Does that seem ridiculous to anyone else?

tradewinds

• YLS 2011 (98% sure)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 10:16:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure its both. Maybe it was just for non-URM males like myself, though. It doesn't really seem that ridiculous when you consider that Yale has such a small class and is by far the best law school in the world. Besides, the difference between a 180 and a 177 is sometimes only 1 question: I think the LSAT is fast losing its power to differentiate candidates at the top end of the scale.

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 10:23:18 AM »
It is the highest-rated law school in the world "by far" if you only consider US News rankings, but Yale and Stanford both have unfortunate reputations for not producing committed attorneys.

I talked to a number of hiring partners in the Bay area and in New York City, and what I heard surprised me. Most of them said that they would rather hire from Boalt or Harvard, respectively, because many of the students at Yale and Stanford show a predilection for only practicing for a couple of years before moving on to other fields.

Not to say that graduates of those schools won't get top jobs, but I found that interesting.

tradewinds

• YLS 2011 (98% sure)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
It is the highest-rated law school in the world "by far" if you only consider US News rankings, but Yale and Stanford both have unfortunate reputations for not producing committed attorneys.

I talked to a number of hiring partners in the Bay area and in New York City, and what I heard surprised me. Most of them said that they would rather hire from Boalt or Harvard, respectively, because many of the students at Yale and Stanford show a predilection for only practicing for a couple of years before moving on to other fields.

Not to say that graduates of those schools won't get top jobs, but I found that interesting.

What do you mean for other fields? Running for President? Being on SCOTUS? I think most law schools would rather have their alumni do that than work for a big law firm.... but Yale is one of the few that produces lots of people who do.

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 10:30:22 AM »
True enough, but if I had the option I think I might take Harvard over Yale. Also, who in God's name actually wants to live in New Haven?

Not that I'm going to apply to either one of them, with my 3.6/???... :)