Law School Discussion

How to write an addendum....

How to write an addendum....
« on: October 10, 2007, 05:27:45 PM »
Is it basically:

Here is what happened and when. This is why it happened. This is why it won't happen again?

Also, is th length of the addendum just like 5-10 sentences, aka a paragraph?

Re: How to write an addendum....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 05:37:05 PM »
Yeah, basically.

Length depends on the complexity of the issue, naturally. Although one should keep it as short as possible.

Your goal is simply to provide sufficient context to guide the reader towards a more favorable interpretation of some part of your background.

Assume that the reader has a decent amount of common sense, and don't make it sound in your writing like the world is out the get you. The universe is far too indifferent to justify that sort of thinking.

dpwc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 10:12:48 PM »
Is it essay format? Or are you addressing the adcomm and hence "Dear Sir or Madam"?

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 10:18:19 PM »
Is it essay format? Or are you addressing the adcomm and hence "Dear Sir or Madam"?

No, the full intro should be like this:

"Dear Sir, or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door."

Dude, didn't you read Ivey?

dpwc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 06:25:52 AM »
Dude, didn't you read Ivey?

I think it is blatantly obvious that I did not. Thanks for the help.

Bowie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 08:11:26 AM »
I have a 3.3.  Not horrible, but way below the 25% of schools I'm applying to.  Most of it can be attributed to first semester freshman year, when I was in engineering and pulled a 2.3.  Should I bother writing an addendum or will that sound whiny?

I wouldn't. That would sound whiny to me and make it seem like you are making excuses for why you got the GPA you got.

dpwc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 07:58:35 PM »
I wouldn't. That would sound whiny to me and make it seem like you are making excuses for why you got the GPA you got.

Isn't an addendum by its nature giving an excuse? I mean, some are better than others obviously, but if you weren't trying to justify something you wouldn't be writing one.

Bowie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 08:21:15 PM »

Isn't an addendum by its nature giving an excuse? I mean, some are better than others obviously, but if you weren't trying to justify something you wouldn't be writing one.

Well, I guess, but I just figured addendums were for things like past criminal charges and stuff like that, I didn't think an addendum should be written about the grades you got.

dpwc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »

Well, I guess, but I just figured addendums were for things like past criminal charges and stuff like that, I didn't think an addendum should be written about the grades you got.

I think it depends. If your frat had parties every weekend then no, but say your parents died and you were left to care for a sibling and your grades tanked that semester. Idk how effective the "I wasn't mature at the beginning of college but now I am" will be.

Bowie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 06:19:15 AM »

I think it depends. If your frat had parties every weekend then no, but say your parents died and you were left to care for a sibling and your grades tanked that semester. Idk how effective the "I wasn't mature at the beginning of college but now I am" will be.

That makes sense. When I thought about the idea of writing an addendum to explain grades I thought well what if this person partied all the time and didn't do their work, then there is no excuse for the grades that person got, but you are right, if something traumatic happened to someone and it caused their grades to slip then I think an addendum would be a good idea