Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Firebreathing, shot down by my pre-law advisor  (Read 2023 times)

pinkcheese

• View Profile
Firebreathing, shot down by my pre-law advisor
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:11:29 AM »
Hi,

I love my ps I wrote on firebreathing. In my opinion, it is perfect and I am ready to submit it to law schools.

I met with my pre-law advisor, however, who says my ps is crap. Yes, he is the head of all law schools in the south, head of a bunch of other law school-related leagues in the nation and claims to know every law school admissions officer on a first name basis, but something tells me his opinion might not be the only one out there.

He wants me to steer away from this particular topic/ps and go for a more "i studied this ... grew up here ... been exposed to ... worked for ... therefore law school" type ps. But coming straight out of undergrad, I think this kind of narrative is not so convincing.

Also, this dean vehemently insists that Anna Ivey is crap. Is this true?! I wrote my firebreathing essay after reading Ivey's book.

I am this close to calling up law schools and asking point blank what they make of the firebreathing essay.

pinkcheese

• View Profile
Re: Firebreathing, shot down by my pre-law advisor
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 01:48:48 PM »
Anyone?? I appreciate your thoughts.

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:03:22 PM »
you can pm it to me .Honestly, I've read 30 essays in the last week and I can say that topic would be quite unique so long as the process of learning firebreathing, practicing it, etc. can translate into positive qualities that make you attractive to law schools--I mean thats the whole point. I don't think it matters what you talk about so long as you translate that into why a school should accept you. So that is where I think your pre-law advisor is full of it. Just like in ivey's book if a prof professes he can write you the best letter, has an in, etc. He's probably full of it. same case here.
Tulane Class of 2011

ManTGeo

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:16:55 PM »
It would help to get a sense of what schools you're applying to. Schools higher on the US News list tend to have prompts that invite more open choice of PS topic.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:39:07 PM »

Your advisor sounds like an ignorant hick.  Most advisors are full of crap.  I'm sure Ivey knows more about the process than this guy.

Anything that makes you stand out is a good topic, as long as it's well written.  They have to read thousands of essays, I'm sure they prefer the interesting ones.

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 09:55:22 PM »
Don't listen to anything your pre-law adviser tells you.  In fact, you should avoid talking to him or her at all.  Read Ivey and Montauk and www.deloggio.com.  Just make sure you follow directions for each school and make it PERSONAL.
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »
Many prelaw advisors are clueless about law school admissions. 

As long as you connect firebreathing somehow to law school, as another suggested, you could have a great essay.

If you need a reader, I'm more than willing to look at it.  Good luck!

AkhilAmar

• Sr. Citizen
  • Need lots of good karma!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:07:06 PM »
i agree with the other posters. my advisor is an absolute moron who knows hardly anything about LS and i feel very sorry for anybody who takes to heart the BS that comes out of his ignorant mouth. so look on the bright side, even though he's wrong, at least he prob. knows something about LS.
UGPA: 3.8

LSAT: Dec. '07

Dream school: Michigan!

pinkcheese

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 01:56:57 AM »
So anyone wanna read this PS? I have it ready!!

difinity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »
I'll read it ...
160 / ~3