Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: $#@%!!! why do I keep making stupid, careless mistakes?  (Read 2384 times)

170ATM

• View Profile
$#@%!!! why do I keep making stupid, careless mistakes?
« on: October 10, 2007, 12:00:44 AM »
Anyone else feel like jumping off a high-rise building because you keep making stupid, silly, careless mistakes even after you've gone over 20+ preptests? I keep making 5 or 6 careless mistakes on every stinking preptest and I just don't know what to do.

I've been studying for a while now and have gone over approximately 20 preptests. I end up making the stupidest mistakes, which I catch when I review my tests (before comparing my answers to the answer key). It's as silly as confusing a suff. condition with a necc. condition, or picking a strenghten answer to a weaken question. Each time I think I've corrected my flaws, I end up making them on the next preptest, without fail.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you go about fixing this aspect during your preparation?

:cry:

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: $#@%!!! why do I keep making stupid, careless mistakes?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:38:47 AM »
I know how you feel. I went through the same agony!!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 02:58:23 PM »
Relax.  You have plenty of time before December, and you'll be able to work through another 15-20 exams by then. 

I think one thing you need to do is take longer breaks between tests, so you're fresher and more focused on each one.  You may also want to slow down a bit until your accuracy improves, and then gradually speed back up. 

If you're spending enough time on each question, you're less likely to make dumb mistakes.

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:07:21 PM »
Wallace, Are you a male stripper in New York?

Thats exactly what came to my mind from what he said. I wonder how Harvard would look at that credential? Good at meeting People!! JK Wallace.

Pretentious Undergrad

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pip pip, children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 03:30:02 AM »
Final id, if your diagrams look anything like your posts I think I know why you are having a problem with speed...

170ATM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:35:23 PM »
I just finished 2 timed LR sections. When I reviewed my answers, I ended up changing TEN answers this time. The only consolation was that I ended up getting them all correct at the end.

Once again, these were really stupid errors. 2 of the questions just didn't make any sense to me the first time around. Upon review, I don't know what the heck I was thinking! Maybe I wasn't paying attention the first time through or maybe I just felt like circling any answer choice that looked good enough? I don't know. One question was a standard percent vs number type and I picked a completely unrelated answer choice.  :'(

I really hope you guys are right and it just somehow "clicks" in my head soon because I'm in panic mode and I'm seriously considering putting off the test until next year.

Maybe I'm just burned out from the constant studying. Oh god, I need to get a life again.

RightHandRule

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 01:43:12 PM »
oh Wallace, I feel so...inspired!
That's what she said!

170ATM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 01:07:27 AM »
Thanks Wallace. I know what you mean and I wish I could follow your advice but I don't know how to convince myself to think like that. I come from a proud line of worrywarts.  :-\

The thing is that I don't really know of a systematic way to stop making these errors. If it were some logical flaw or some concept that I wasn't understanding, at least I would be able to formulate a plan to remedy that weakness. I would actually prefer that scenario over making random careless mistakes on easy questions.

I just have no idea how to approach and fix this.

I just finished 2 timed LR sections. When I reviewed my answers, I ended up changing TEN answers this time. The only consolation was that I ended up getting them all correct at the end.

You're stressing yourself out, and your time-management is bad. (The two are related.)

I frankly wouldn't have TIME to re-check TEN full answers on a LR section.

Final_Id, you misunderstood my post. I did two back-to-back LR sections in 35minutes each. After my time was up, I went back to check all 51 questions and ended up catching 10 really dumb mistakes.

On advice from various people, I am currently trying to finish entire sections in 35 minutes. As a baseline, I usually finish 20-22 questions in 35min and end up making 1-2 errors per section. If I try to finish the entire section, my error rate goes up to around 4-5 per section. Interestingly enough, the scaled score ends up being the same in both instances.

What happened in the last 2 sections was unprecedented. I've never made 10 careless errors in 2 back to back sections.

I think I'm going to take a long break and try the various suggestions that were given in this thread.